The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 09:23 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sealed drag vs non sealed.

Any reel used in the salt, North or South, must be rinsed thoroughly and dried after use. Think of sealed drags as the same as open designs just less user maintainable. Really, no fly reel drag is that complex and every reel maker worth its salt (pardon the pun) will offer full diagrams and instruction on proper reel care. It is no big deal. Those serious about their angling should take a certain satisfaction in understanding the inner workings of their tackle and how to maintain it just as they might take pride in the special knots required in their rigging.

Tropical flats fishing is far and away the most expensive fishing I participate in. OK, I am not flying to the Kola or Kamchatka Peninsulas... If I am flying to fish in the Bahamas or Belize and hiring guides or staying in a Camp I am going to not look to save money on the rods and reels I bring with me! The best and most reliable are a return investment that I use over and over again in environments devoid of tackle shops. Yes, I have caught bonefish on modest and experimental tackle but not without having my quality, proven gear along with me. I have seen MANY reels fail and many rods not live up to expectations. There is concentrated salt, wind, heat, banging around in boats, distance casts to be made and, fundamentally, you get ONE cast at an ever-moving bonefish, secondary shots have drastically diminishing returns. This is extremely rewarding fly fishing that is demanding of your ever evolving skill development and specialized equipment.
kelkay, von behr and duker like this.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:18 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for all the answers and advice. I now own a Abel Super 7. I had a gopro camera I didn't use and swaped it for the reel. It's a tank and I will never need the full capacity of this reels brake. I'm hunting seatrouts in the salt.
I think it's too heavy for my Sage One 691-4, but I think it will suit my TCX 790-4.
The cork drag had a little too much grease on it, so I have dunked it in some soapy water. It needs a little cleaning, the cork drag.

Kim.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:19 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

The TCX/Super 7 is a match! The cork drag surface needs to be lubricated with neatsfoot oil but not awash in it. Excess can be whipped off with a paper towel. I put on about 3 drops and rub it in with my finger.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:34 AM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

I don't have that oil. I have some superlupe oil and Daiwa reel grease. However it was over the top greased in. I guess soapy water don't do any damage? 12hours or more soaked in it? Took a toothbrush and rinsed the cork. There's still some grease left on the springs that is really hard to remove.

Kim.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:57 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikau27 View Post
I don't have that oil.
Neatsfoot oil is commonly used to preserve leather products. It is popular for using on horse saddles.

Quote:
I have some superlupe oil and Daiwa reel grease.
The Daiwa grease will work for the moving parts. You can try the oil, but I have a feeling that it will not last as long as the neatsfoot oil. I have tried some different lubes on the cork drag plate. They just did not last.

Quote:
However it was over the top greased in. I guess soapy water don't do any damage? 12hours or more soaked in it? Took a toothbrush and rinsed the cork. There's still some grease left on the springs that is really hard to remove.
A long soak in soapy water won't hurt the parts. However if you really want to get the grease off of the springs, a spirit based or an undiluted citrus based degreaser should be used.

Enjoy your reel.

Dennis
Old 07-30-2013, 11:25 AM

Like MP said, a tack shop is where to find neatsfoot oil. I bought a bottle that could lube every cork drag in the world...twice. It is what Abel recommends and they may have small vials available. They are very helpful.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:46 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

See attached link:

Abel Reels - Easy Care Instructions

I actually paid the ridiculous amount for this lube kit, basically because I wanted the viles and the package. I refill them with bulk reel grease, reel oil and neatsfoot oil.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:44 PM

Since I mention the size jug of neatsfoot oil and how it could lube every cork drag in the world...I should comment that, when we talk draw-bar reels on this forum, we usually mention Abel and Tibor. They are two of the best but there is also the Canadian Islander, Australian Hayden, Italian Alutecnos, South African Shilton and Magla, Japanese Wellstone, not to mention the older Florida-built Fin-Nor, Seamaster and my first bonefish reel, the Catino.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:57 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Sealed drag vs non sealed.

For light salt water usage 'older is better?' The old Phf'g Med's; Things are just plain bullet proof. Hundred's of thousands of these things (over 70 years?) built/sold for a very good reason.

fae
Old 07-30-2013, 06:43 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Dennis, I use Boeshield to get the old grease off reels. (especially old dirty ones) I use the spray, and soak it with the stuff. Then I use Q-tips to wipe it out. A can of that will last you quite a while. I got mine at Sears.