The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 10:50 AM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sealed drag vs non sealed.

Thank you sweetandsalt for mentioning the reels.
I bought Daiwa reel oil. In Denmark i don't think we have neats foot oil. Think it would be a little silly to order oil from us of a

Kim.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:57 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Neatsfoot oil is not readily available in the US either and would not be found at a tackle shop. But a place specializing in leather product especially for equestrians might as they use it on their saddles and harnesses. It is not a lubricant as much as a protectant.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:41 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

I think I have found that oil in Denmark. It goes under different manufacturer name, but on the label it says Neatsfoot oil 100% pure. Guess it's the right one?

Kim.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:50 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikau27 View Post
I think I have found that oil in Denmark. It goes under different manufacturer name, but on the label it says Neatsfoot oil 100% pure. Guess it's the right one?

Kim.
Seeing "100% Pure" is important, because often other natural oils or even petroleum product are present in "neatsfoot oil compound".
Old 08-02-2013, 10:12 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

I would say that unless your fishing salt it doesn't seam to hold much bearing. Yes there are a number of reels that are %100 sealed, the chamber containing the actual discs is welded shut on some reels w/ sealed drags, therefore dirt and grime cannot get in. I feel like a con would be that if the drag system malfunctioned, it wouldn't be so easy to fix given that its sealed. Like some of the other gentleman refered to, I prefer a click n' pawl reel or click check system, if it gets dirty I simply rinse it out or use a Q-tip to get in there and clean er out. Like I said earlier I wouldn't get hung up on sealed drags unless your fishing salt to keep sand out.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:36 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I would opine that no trout fisherman this side of Tierra del Fuego needs a bonefish-grade drag. Opposite that, however, I would counter that a spring and pawl, check reel even in the hands of an experienced angler, and I fished Hardy's and CFO's for decades, is going to increase the time it takes to bring a strong trout to the net over a reel with a reasonable, smooth drag. I am not going to invent a % of time increase but anything that increases the amount of lactic acid build up in the fish's blood diminishes its probable well-being upon release. All my early Atlantic salmon and steelhead were caught on a Hardy Marquis and I didn't feel handicapped and I still fish a CFO on small trout streams. For some time now, whether on the West Branch in the East or the North Fork in the West, I am fishing reels like Nautilus FWX, Hardy Ultralite DD and recently, Galvan Torque. And for the anadromus fish, I do use a bonefish grade drag.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:13 PM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough

maybe a non intended detraction on my part from the current topic, but in my travels and looking at reel schematics and such, it seems some advertise a drag as "water proof" which seems to be generally interpreted as "not affected by water" but not necessarily sealed as in completely water tight.

Just a perceived observation with some reels. Seems like you have to either see the parts diagram, have an example to look at or of course stick with manufactures who specifically explain how their drags are constructed.