The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Hardy 'Perfect' Setup (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/326179-hardy-perfect-setup.html)

almonde 07-25-2013 10:34 AM

Hardy 'Perfect' Setup

I have been given a Hardy Perfect 3 3/8", its a bumpy model from the late 70's i think.

I'm looking for a few tips on correctly setting the pawls. Due to the line guard and the lack of lock screw on the spool, I'll be using it RHW.

Can anyone offer me some advice on how I should set both of the pawls in the reel, i.e.: which one should have the curve surface against the spring.

Currently i have set it with the upper pawl with the curved surface against the spring and lower pawl is set with the flat surface against the spring.

Hardyreels 07-25-2013 11:39 AM

Re: Hardy 'Perfect' Setup

I don't have a Perfect in house at this time and it's been 20 years since I did but........... There are several different check styles in the perfects, a right only reel with 2 pawls simply allows you to increase the pressure by engaging both or decrease by using only one.

Sorry for being so vague but I don't have one and my experience is both limited & old......

Ard

troutnut4 07-25-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by almonde (Post 575892)
I have been given a Hardy Perfect 3 3/8", its a bumpy model from the late 70's i think.

I'm looking for a few tips on correctly setting the pawls. Due to the line guard and the lack of lock screw on the spool, I'll be using it RHW.

Can anyone offer me some advice on how I should set both of the pawls in the reel, i.e.: which one should have the curve surface against the spring.

Currently i have set it with the upper pawl with the curved surface against the spring and lower pawl is set with the flat surface against the spring.

I did a quick search on Google image for the Perfect and there are several pictures showing the pawl placement. It looks to me that your setting is correct form the images I see. You will probably get input from the more knowledgeable members here shortly. I just purchased a 3 1/8 and should have it in hand in a week, so I will be watching as well.

almonde 07-29-2013 11:46 AM

I did a bit of a look around google images and found one showing the pawls from the same model that i have. I set the pawls that way and when i tigtened the spring down, found it was the same with the line going out and stiffer to retrieve, so Iset it to the opposite of that and it seems to work well.

There is actually a bit more resistance than expected when the spring is tightened down.

Now i just need to find a nice rod to match it with :)

troutnut4 08-07-2013 05:51 PM

Have you checked out the Zenith? With the new Zenith with wood reel seat coming out, the prices are being slashed at flyshopcloseout.com on the older model.:D

sweetandsalt 08-07-2013 07:23 PM

Perfects of any generation are way too heavy and low in line capacity to match with any Zenith. These reels are at their best with cane rods.

troutnut4 08-07-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetandsalt (Post 579961)
Perfects of any generation are way too heavy and low in line capacity to match with any Zenith. These reels are at their best with cane rods.

Thanks for the thought, I knew that I needed another rod, I just didn't know what.:confused: Bamboo sounds like a plan, now all I have to do is figure out how to convince my wife.:D I have been trying my Perfect out on a couple of my 8 1/2' Sages and the Hardy 3 1/8 feels great to me. I don't need any more than 50 yards of backing where I fish.

littledavid123 08-07-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetandsalt (Post 579961)

Think it depends upon individual tastes, I have a 3 1/8 matched with a Far & Fine and am crazy about it.

Dave

sweetandsalt 08-08-2013 08:50 AM

OK, Dave, two great and seminal products there and I would rather the reel be a bit too heavy than two light. However, from a guy who spent considerable effort this spring to fine tune the balance of his core quiver (see my recent post in Reel Love), where it me, I would have found a CFO III or IV for F&F and a bit bigger rod for the Perfect...but, hey, its not me.

littledavid123 08-08-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetandsalt (Post 580118)
OK, Dave, two great and seminal products there and I would rather the reel be a bit too heavy than two light. However, from a guy who spent considerable effort this spring to fine tune the balance of his core quiver (see my recent post in Reel Love), where it me, I would have found a CFO III or IV for F&F and a bit bigger rod for the Perfect...but, hey, its not me.

Have both (CFO III & IV), tried them and still the Perfect gave me the "Daddy Likes" warm fuzzy feeling! Strange similarity, during my "pre-children" days of hunting there were several nice Belgium Brownings in the closet, but if I wanted to do some "Dead-eye Dicky" shooting...It was the Ithaca pump 16 gauge every time. A person should learn the technical aspects that apply to their endeavors and yet not be afraid to go with what feels right. ;)

Dave