The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 07:19 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: "Dunkable" 8wt. Fly Reel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
The Bimini Twist is a standard knot among salts that can form a large loop that will fit over a spool of line and is not hard to tie with a little practice; there are many internet illustrations and videos depicting this and I tie one in the backing on every reel/spool I have so I can loop-to-loop fly lines on and off.
This knot gives me fits.

As an aside, I like the nail knot over the factory loop. Great idea that I'll employ on my big game set ups.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:27 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Thanks Chi. I have had 0 failures of such re-enforced loops and my rigging has been vigorously tested. After twisting the loop to form the Bimini, I put it over my shoes and spread my feet apart as I wind the tag down to the loop over the twist. Throw in a half hitch to lock it up and then a 5 to 7 turn finish knot and you are in business. I rotate 50 turns to form the twist for Dacron backing.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:37 AM

sneltyr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There is a thread under fly lines you can search about "welded loops" that many of the same commenters here contributed to. The up-shot was that welded loops as supplied by line manufacturers on most contemporary lines are about 80% the strength of the line (20 to 35 lb. test depending on core material) and can crack. They can be brought up to full+ strength by mechanical reinforcement; I tie a 12+ turn nail knot over the doubled portion of the loop when new and there are other valid approaches. The Bimini Twist is a standard knot among salts that can form a large loop that will fit over a spool of line and is not hard to tie with a little practice; there are many internet illustrations and videos depicting this and I tie one in the backing on every reel/spool I have so I can loop-to-loop fly lines on and off.

This image shows the nail knot reinforced loop and a double line Bimini to reduce smaller diameter line bite into the softer fly line coating.
S&S - Thanks much for taking the time to teach!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:46 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

One thing worth mentioning is that tarpon guides, for instance, often have Tibor's, Abels etc. for economic reasons over the sealed drag reels. In addition to the reels being generally less inexpensive to start with , the spools are cheaper than sealed drag spools.

The other is that they are quickly convertible from left to right wind. So they can have an extra spool loaded with backing for the opposite wind, saving the cost of buying an extra entire reel - or having one fewer backup reels.

You don't want to put a customer in the position of having to learn how to reel with the "wrong" hand when he's got a fish on the end topping his previous largest fish by over 100 lbs. These fish get off frequently enough as it is, and you can bet (regardless of cause) where most customers would place the blame if forced to reel "backwards".