The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 05:00 PM

sneltyr is on a distinguished road
Default "Dunkable" 8wt. Fly Reel?

I've been asking you all advice on 8wt. Reels for Reds/Specks & Bones. I've narrowed it down to the following:

I am attracted to the idea of a used Abel 3N or a used Tibor Everglades but am worried about the dunking. The Abel Super8 seems even less "dunkable" with all the porting. I know they are great reels but I am absolutely going to end up dunking them while wading. Not that I'm going to try to - it's just going to happen.

So the question is should I pick up a used Abel/Tibor or opt for a reel with a sealed drag. I'm pretty open to all sealed drag reels except Nautilus and Lamson (nothing personal just taste). No Hatch Finatic either as it and a spare spool are out of my price range.

- Colton Torrent
- Sage 1880 (on sale $79 at Cabelas). Bought one for my wife & it's nice and simple. Strong drag & really no place for sand or salt to go. Only problem is I can't find anyone online who had used it for Bonefish.
- Van Staal C-Vex
- Galvin T8
- Allen
Etc...

Thanks for any input.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:35 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: "Dunkable" 8wt. Fly Reel?

Out of your list I'd go with the Galvan every day of the week. They are fantastic reels built like tanks without the weight. They have very smooth drags and great line capacity. If you need to have that pot sweetened, the Galvan as a company will crawl through shards of broken glass to fix any problem that may arise. They are a class act for sure. I'd have a couple but the wife says I can't own them all so I had to draw the line somewhere.
troutchaser8 likes this.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:23 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I would go in order:

1. Galvan T8
2. Sage 1880
3. Allen Kracken

The Galvan is a really solid reel and I know lots of guides that use em and they really like em. I routinely see them bring dunked in the salt and causing no problems.

the Sage is a sage and its gonna work for a inexpensive option. The drag on them is sealed really well and have owning a couple Sage reels, they are nice and the drags are very smooth and strong.

If you are looking for sealed drags only, The Kracken is the only 100% sealed drag reel they offer currently. I know the Alpha III has a new drag and I think its based off the Kracken, but you'll need to verify that. They will answer if you ask em. I saw a Kracken in action and its a nice reel. The drag is really smooth and strong. I used my Alpha II in the salt and it doesn't have a sealed drag, so I made sure I cleaned it each day when I was done and I didn't have any problems with it.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-26-2013, 07:40 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

sneltyr, You have asked for advise and it has been given. Are you looking for the best or the best bargain, new or ebay? If you are ruling out Nautilus NV and Hatch you are ruling out 2/3 of the reasonable sealed drag reels and not even mentioning Hardy Fortuna. Do you think all the world records set with Abels were with reels never dropped in the muck? Galvan Reels are terrific fresh water reels but you will never see one on a bonefish camp rod rack...you may see a Waterworks/Lamson due to their trout popularity but...they are the property of one-timers. As I have oft said, most reel designs are not suited to the arduous rigors of saltwater flats fishing and the ones that are are purpose built for this application.

Very few reel's designs are scalable from fresh to flats applications and I am not talking trough my long-billed hat...I have been plying Tropical and NorthEastern flats for pushing four decades.
von behr likes this.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

If you're thinking of an Abel Big Game 3N it's a fine choice for an 8 weight. I use one on mine.
von behr likes this.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:24 AM

adam maskew is on a distinguished road

I have been using an Everglades QC as my only reel for nearly 10 years. Only fish salt, avg 60-80 days on the water, gets dunked in about half of the trips. A rinse, air dry and ready for next time. Only recently serviced the drag. Haven't got any corrosion although have collected a couple of small dings, small chips in the anodising and maybe some boat rash.

The only reel I converted was a Mako. I received one last year but still trot the everglades out regularly.

The Abel would be a fine choice as well just look at the condition when buying either second hand as it is easy to be disappointed with the finish/drag condition on second hand reels.

Buying new the Colton has been getting some good wraps. I've also been impressed with the TFO BVK reel.

You don't say whether it will have regular use or whether it is a couple of days a year. That will influence your choice as well.

Buy what the heart wants and save if you have too. The higher end reels from all manufacturers will last and yield a lower $/yr cost in the long run...

Adam
Old 07-27-2013, 09:46 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I haven't mentioned Mako sealed drag beauties because of their elite nature and I agree that a properly maintained Tibor, Abel or Islander is a long term value enhanced investment in your angling future. I occasionally encounter gentlemen that are fishing their original Seamaster for half a century and have no reason to change.

I brought a Florida-built, sealed drag, skeletonized, super large arbor reel I really like on a guides boat in Biscayne Bay and asked him what he thought of it. He said he could take his Tibor and pound my reel flat with it and his reel would still work fine.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:15 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneltyr View Post
I am attracted to the idea of a used Abel 3N or a used Tibor Everglades but am worried about the dunking. The Abel Super8 seems even less "dunkable" with all the porting. I know they are great reels but I am absolutely going to end up dunking them while wading. Not that I'm going to try to - it's just going to happen.
My Super 6 Large Arbor is my fall workhorse. During that time of year, it is being used for trophy trout and fall run steelhead. The reel gets dunked more times than I care for. It does not have any performance issues.

My old school Big Game 3N gets used mostly for warm water fishing mostly nowadays, but it sees saltwater from time to time. Like my Super 6, the reel has been dunked more times than I care for. Again, it has not had any performance issues.

Abel Reels are very dependable. Consider them as the AK47 of the fly fishing reel industry. A simple rinse out and some regular maintenance will keep them fishing for years.

Dennis
von behr, chi flyfisher and grouch like this.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:33 AM

sneltyr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Out of your list I'd go with the Galvan every day of the week. They are fantastic reels built like tanks without the weight. They have very smooth drags and great line capacity. If you need to have that pot sweetened, the Galvan as a company will crawl through shards of broken glass to fix any problem that may arise. They are a class act for sure. I'd have a couple but the wife says I can't own them all so I had to draw the line somewhere.
Thanks Grouch

Quote:
You don't say whether it will have regular use or whether it is a couple of days a year. That will influence your choice as well.
Adam - Sorry it will be 2-3 times a year Max. That is until I can get all the teenagers grown up and out of the house I also have the Bowhunting wife to compete with!

Quote:
Buy what the heart wants and save if you have too. The higher end reels from all manufacturers will last and yield a lower $/yr cost in the long run...
Very Good Point - This is usually what gets me in trouble

Quote:
I haven't mentioned Mako sealed drag beauties because of their elite nature and I agree that a properly maintained Tibor, Abel or Islander is a long term value enhanced investment in your angling future. I occasionally encounter gentlemen that are fishing their original Seamaster for half a century and have no reason to change.
That would be an easy decision if I had the means.

Quote:
I brought a Florida-built, sealed drag, skeletonized, super large arbor reel I really like on a guides boat in Biscayne Bay and asked him what he thought of it. He said he could take his Tibor and pound my reel flat with it and his reel would still work fine.
I love that reply!

I'm still driving myself nuts with all the options. I don't really have anything against Nautilus. I just have to get over loosing a hog rainbow on my guides Nautilus do to spool disengagement. It was a Black Nautilus (not sure which model) that was a little "gritty" and not sufficiently clicked in. The drag was also gritty and not smooth. Both probably due to lack of maintenance.
SweetandSalt - This would get to your comments on having a "Screw On" Spool as opposed to a spring loaded click on.

So I guess I'm open to a Nautilus - just can afford the NV (unless used).
Nothing against Lamsons in particular - I have fished them - they've just never appealed to me.

So 2-3 times a year and I don't want to buy another reel (Ever). So 2-3 times a year for 20-30 years. That will be a reel for me and my wife.

One thing that does concern me is the Spool Change. If I am out wading with the wife and we want to change lines for some reason I'd like it to be quick. This is the only thing that holds me back on getting a used Tibor Everglades or Abel 3n. Can't afford the Everglades QC.

I'm not sure if I need an extra line or spool for Redfish, Speckled Trout or Bonefish. i havent had anyone answer that question yet. If the answer is no then a used Everglades or Abel 3n may be the best choice.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:48 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
That made me laugh