The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 06:08 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default Pflueger auto operation

OK I'm a moron and an idiot, I have a new Pflueger auto reel, and I can't figure out how to use it. I pull off line and I feel the tension increase, but when I push the lever nothing happens, I'm moving the lever the right way because it depress the little plunger(button) on the reel. the only way to let off tension is to twist the smaller knob.

Is it broke?
thanks
Old 07-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pflueger auto operation

Not sure I clearly understand....but....looks there's something wrong with that reel...you should show it to a shop or to someone used to auto reels...who can fix the problem.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:24 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I have one of those old auto reels, but there's no markings on it, so not sure it's a Pflueger or will be the same as what you have. Take a good look at the side that has that smaller knob, and see if the whole side can twist. It should turn clockwise as you look at that side.

This should wind up the spring inside. Once it's wound up, depressing the lever should allow the spool to turn to retrieve line.

That smaller knob is to release tension. You should not leave the spring under tension when not in use.

Here's the one I have:

Side view, notice the knurled edge around the side plate. (bottom, near the reel foot) The center is the smaller knob.
Click the image to open in full size.

Better view showing the larger knob.
Click the image to open in full size.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-27-2013, 01:06 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

It may or may not be broke, it may just need to be "wound up". Sometimes you need to add some residual spring tension. As BigJim said, you may need to turn the knurled plate on the top of the reel. Don't get carried away and over do. Wind it maybe a turn or so and see if the reel spins when you hit the release lever. If it does, you are all set, if not, it may be broke. If it still doesn't spin, you might try two or three turns, I guess you have nothing to loose at that point. If you start feeling some significant tension, stop.

One thing I can tell you, I learned this from personal experience when I was a kid about 10 years old. I don't recommend taking the reel apart. When I tried it as a kid, I spent the next year or so trying to get it back together. Never did get it to work. Maybe I'd have better luck now as an adult, but I think I've been permanently scarred by the experience.

Good luck,

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo