The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By von behr
  • 1 Post By chi flyfisher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 03:01 PM

sneltyr is on a distinguished road
Default Abel Model Confusion - Please Help

I am confused on Abel Models.

On their website the 3N Super shows to be for 3 & 4 Wt. Line.

I have been looking for a suitable Redfish/Speck/Bonefish reel on other threads and some have suggested looking for a used Abel 3N or Super 8.

There is an Abel 3N Standard on Ebay that says its for 7,8,9 Line. I assume the 3N on ebay is the Big Game Model but it does not say so.

Totally confused.

It seems much easier to shop for a used Tibor! All I have to do is look for Everglades.

Please clear up confusion if you can and also let me know what good new & used prices are on ebay.

Thanks for the help
Old 07-27-2013, 03:29 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Abel Model Confusion - Please Help

3N standard means it has a standard or small arbor as opposed to the large arbor. This will allow it to hold more backing. However, a Super 3N is designed for 3 or 4-wt rods.

Abel previously offered a "Big Game" series with a different numbering system a few years ago, but now offers the "Super Series," which is available in large or standard arbor configurations.

For what you will be targeting, a Super 8 would be ideal. The new ones are sold as a 7-8N, which is designed to go with a 7,8, or 9-wt rod. However, you can still find Super 7's, 8's and 9's brand new on auction sites for less than a new 7-8N.

A Super 8 with large arbor will hold a 8-wt line with about 200 yards of 20-lb. Dacron backing.

Try this link for information about current offerings and backing capacity:

Fly Reels | Best Fly Fishing Reels | Custom Reels For Fly Fishing

-VB
Old 07-27-2013, 03:34 PM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough

The problem is with the names. The older Abels with small arbors were known as Big Game and there were 3, 3.5, 4 etc. This referred to the reel size in inches. The 3N you refer to is a narrow, with larger/mid arbor hence the lower line rating.
What you want is either a Super 7 or 8 for 6-8 at lines, even 9wt.
Don't give up, they are great reels.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:42 PM

VB - Thanks for the clarification. I'm guessing The Big Game 3N would do as well. I'm assuming the 3N in the link is the Big Game.

Any thoughts on a fair price for the 3N Big Game and the Super 8 - New or used on Ebay.

Thanks Much for the help.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

Gerard -

So the reel in the Ebay link is misclassified? It appears to be a 3N which would be the 3-4 wt.

Thanks Much.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:43 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Sneltyr,

Here's another visual reference for you:

This is a Super 3N next to a Super 8. The number roughly corresponds to the ideal line weight and rod weight with which the reel is most suitable.

Since the Super 7, Super 8, and Super 9 have all been discontinued, there are some good deals to be had on all three out there.

Click the image to open in full size.Uploaded with ImageShack.com

jaybo41 likes this.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:55 PM

VB - Sell me that Super 8!!
Old 07-27-2013, 04:01 PM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneltyr View Post
Gerard -

So the reel in the Ebay link is misclassified? It appears to be a 3N which would be the 3-4 wt.

Thanks Much.
Yes probably. Here is a link to Abels spec sheet with all recent models and timelines.

Abel Reels - Specifications
Old 07-27-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneltyr View Post
VB - Sell me that Super 8!!
Sorry, this one's staying with me. But I know where you can find one. PM me if you'd like the info.

-VB
Old 07-27-2013, 04:22 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I use an Abel Big Game 3N for an 8 wt. A good price for one new is under $400 on the big auction site. You can also get a discontinued Abel Super 6 with a standard arbor - it's the same reel but has more porting and is lighter. The Big Game reels have been discontinued as well as most of the original Super Series. The new Super Series all have a "N" after the numerical portion of the name - meaning narrow spool. The newer Super series are narrower and taller than the first Super Series, hence the N.

I fish mostly Big Game and original Super series reels, save two new Super 4N's I have. With the first Super Series, I stay away from the Super 5 and the Super 8 because they're too wide for me. Fine reels and a matter of preference, I simply prefer the narrower reels. That would lend itself to the new Abel line of Super Series but the cost outweighs the benefit IMO.

These links may help you understand Abel. I've studies them over the years so I know them pretty well - and they helped me quite a bit while building my stable of reels.

Abel Reels - Specifications

Abel Reels - Big Game Fly Fishing | Big Game Fly Reels

New Abel Super Series

They're great reels. It seems they've been discussed quite a bit recently on the forum. They're not for everybody and they're not necessary for all applications - but that doesn't stop me from using them on even my smallest 3 wt rod, which I use an old Big Game 0. I bought a discontinued Abel Super 9 last week for my new 9 weight.

Cheers,
Mike.
jaybo41 likes this.