The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 07:05 PM

sneltyr is on a distinguished road
Default Anti Reverse Fly Reels?

Can someone explain to me what an anti-reverse fly reel is?

Thanks Much
Old 07-28-2013, 07:11 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti Reverse Fly Reels?

Simplest explanation : the reel handle stays stationary when the fish runs. When your playing a big fish and it runs you don't have to let go of the reel handle to let the fish take line.
Has saved many a fish and many more knuckles in SW battles!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

John has explained it correctly. When I lived in Alaska and fished for salmon, I had an old Orvis Battenkill reel, it worked great, I would palm the reel for extra drag but eventually the clicker died completly. I continued to use it for a couple more years, but eventually bought an anti-reverse reel. The issue I was having was bruised knuckles, after the first big run, I would start reeling in line and then all of a sudden the reel would be going full speed in the opposite direction as the fish decided to head down stream again. The problem is that you (or at least I) couldn't detect the sudden change and my knuckles would take a beating, after a day's fishing it felt like I had arthritis in my knuckles from all the beatings it took from the reel handle. That anti-reverse reel solved all those issues.
fredaevans, theboz and baseman1 like this.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:00 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

An anti-reverse fly reel works like a casting reel. I've never even held one in my hand, but after having silver salmon darn near break my thumbs about a million times I can tell you what they are for. Your spool can release line to the fish without the knob whacking your thumb 25 times before your say ouch.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:56 AM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

Nice, now I also know what that is

Kim.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 AM

sneltyr is on a distinguished road

Thanks all - now I understand the Billy Pate reels and the Abel 3N AR.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

There are two kinds of "anti-reverse" reels.

The most common one is the kind which allows the fish to take out line against the drag and the handle does not rotate backwards. The connection between the spool and the handle is the drag. In this type of anti-reverse, you need to tighten the drag to begin taking up line.

The direct drive anti-reverse is the type which allows the line to go out against the drag, but when you begin to retrieve, it disengages the drag and you are connected directly to the fish. You do not need to tighten the drag to take up line. To re-engage the drag, you just stop taking in line. This is called a direct drive anti-reverse reel

Only one reel that I know of that has this feature is the Seamaster Dual Mode Fly Reel.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-29-2013, 12:01 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Silver, Henschel also makes one. I like that reel foot for heavy reels. I just wonder if it would increase fouling the line in windy conditions.

Henschel Reels Part 2 PREMIUM fly reel ULTI MODE - YouTube
Old 07-29-2013, 12:14 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Silver, Henschel also makes one. I like that reel foot for heavy reels. I just wonder if it would increase fouling the line in windy conditions.

Henschel Reels Part 2 PREMIUM fly reel ULTI MODE - YouTube
Now that has to be the coolest reel I've ever seen!
Old 07-29-2013, 12:48 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My buddy got a Valentine the other day for 15 bucks
He always seems to step in it.