The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 08:48 AM

jshock is on a distinguished road
Default Pflueger 1494 vs Scientific Angler Concept 2

I am looking for an entry level rod and reel combo, and am looking at a Pflueger Medalist Fly Combo with a Medalist 1494 reel, and a Scientific Angler Trout Fishing Kit with a Concept 2 reel. I would like some advice from anyone familiar with both reels (or kits) as to which might be better. I like that the Pflueger has a metal frame and seems more like a classic reel. Anyone care to wade in with advice? I fish in northern Wisconsin and UP Michigan, and will be using the combo mostly for trout, bass, maybe an occasional northern. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:20 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pflueger 1494 vs Scientific Angler Concept 2

Can't speak to the rods, but as to the reels= Pflueger Medalist. Things were built for about 70 years and are just about bullet proof (Millions of them still out there in use.)

fae
Old 07-31-2013, 07:30 PM

jshock is on a distinguished road

Thanks! That pretty much confirms what I suspected. Went ahead and ordered the Pflueger Medalist.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:51 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Rather doubt you'll be disappointed. Probably repeating myself, but only one I had ever had a 'give up' I had a King Salmon on the end of the line. No Contest. "King - 1 ... Fred- 0"

fae
Old 08-01-2013, 06:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

That Medalist combo is the only way to buy a new Medalist reel now. They're no longer on the market any other way.
I don't know anything about the rod. I have an older Pflueger rod that I bought for my son and it's okay, but nothing special.

I have used one of the Scientific Anglers' combos. That rod cast very well but wasn't much to look at.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

There is at least one online store that still sells the reels separately. I don't want to post a link as may be against the rules.