The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 09:14 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Current production Click & Pawl reels ?

Red Truck Flyfishing has a reel as well, similar to the classic Hardy series of reels.

Red Truck Fly Reels
Old 08-02-2013, 09:27 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
Red Truck Flyfishing has a reel as well, similar to the classic Hardy series of reels.

Red Truck Fly Reels

Hey now those are pretty sweet reels!
Old 08-03-2013, 04:09 AM

Englander is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys

Thank you gentlemen for a warm welcome

And a huge amount of information for me to mull over

Some option's there id never heard of, i have just noticed that the Hardy light weight has no exposed rim whilst the Orvis Battenkill does surely this makes palming a bit tricky on the Hardy ?

Stephen
Old 08-03-2013, 07:39 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englander View Post

Some option's there id never heard of, i have just noticed that the Hardy light weight has no exposed rim whilst the Orvis Battenkill does surely this makes palming a bit tricky on the Hardy ?
Traditionally on reels with no exposed rim, the angler would use a finger to press the line against the spool arbor inside the reel
Old 08-03-2013, 08:41 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi Guys

Stephen
First a warm welcome to 'Our side of the Pond.' For trout fishing not having an exposed rim is not much of deal as just the drag of the fly line going through the guides provides quite a bit of pressure on the fish. Once you get up into the two plus pound size fish an exposed rim brings a lot to the party

Fred
Old 08-03-2013, 09:37 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Hi Guys

Stephen
For me, on C&P reels, an exposed rim is a must, even on trout reels.

I wouldn't have wanted to have this guy on without a palming rim

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:31 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Man those reels are sweet!
Old 08-03-2013, 11:52 AM

Englander is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
Man those reels are sweet!
"Ditto Mate"

While the Abel are very nice my wife would kill me if i spent that much on a fly reel

But i have to say im very taken with the

# Orvis Battenkill S & P

# Red truck Diesel

# Hardy Light weight

# Cortland Retro

And whilst I want/ Like standard arbour I have to say Im very drawn to the Redington Drift a fine looking reel and good value too

Stephen
Old 08-03-2013, 12:28 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
For me, on C&P reels, an exposed rim is a must, even on trout reels.
I wouldn't have wanted to have this guy on without a palming rim
You could always make yourself a custom drag like I did on these Medalists

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
chi flyfisher and baseman1 like this.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:31 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Current production Click & Pawl reels ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
You could always make yourself a custom drag like I did on these Medalists

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
10 extra points RT! Never seen that done before.

Fred