The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 06:34 AM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Reel maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
Grouch, unless you are fishing saltwater, that is not necessary to clean your reel at 4am. Wash it with fresh water, after it leaves the salt. If it is a freshwater reel, it won't hurt if you get a little rest, before cleaning a reel.
Da stripah are out 'bout late. To get em youz gotsta be out late too. I'll go three or four trips in the fresh before I clean the thing but the salt trips get done when I get home.

In about a month or so, I won't know what sleep is! I don't really care though, I'll have a very long winter to catch up.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:08 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Saltwater poses its own special maintenance issues (see my post under "reel failures" in this Forum). I thoroughly washed my trout reels after returning from a month long Western trip recently, honestly they were not too dirty and held their lube well but I did it and re lubed anyway...why not? The big thing after trout fishing is to be certain that the reel (& line/backing) is completely dry before putting them away. I like having them open on my desk for a few days as decorations and reminders of my experiences with each of them. I took six reels with me and used four of them extensively with no problems of any kind. If you have a reel marketed as "sealed", treat it as if its is not because, chances are, it isn't. Mako, Nautilus NV, Fortuna X...perhaps they are sealed, but wash them anyway. Any reel you can change wind direction with by removing a bearing and reversing it with your fingers...is NOT sealed.
jaybo41 and krikau27 like this.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:15 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

I think it's hard if you can't trust manufacturer of the reels. If they say it's sealed and tell you to not maintain it other than rinse under running water, then I guess you have to trust them? I wouldn't take a screwdriver or anything to try and open the reel if that will make me loose the warranty. Of course this means that you trust the reel to not have a manufacture fail, which is probably impossible, but good faith in workmanship?
This applys to sealed drags. Open drags are another thing, they have to be maintained.

Kim.