The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 10:27 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Reel maintenance

Didn't want to hi-jack the reel failure poll, but it got me wondering as to how many folks actually do routine maintenance/inspections on their reels? Just like a car, if it doesn't get any routine maintenance/inspection then you should probably carry a back up reel at all times. Not judging, nor do I expect routine maintenance/inspections to be the cure all.... just wondering if others are as "Anal Retentive" as I seem to be.

I am a nerd when it comes to cleaning and lubing my reels, especially salt water reels. My Abel switch gets soaked in a container of fresh water on the way home from the beach, taken apart and rinsed and re-lubed after each outing. Doesn't matter if it is a 5 minute or 8 hour outing, it gets done each time. Overkill? Probably but the reel guts still look brand new.

I also take a part my fresh water reels, clean and grease/oil if necessary, but at a mininum I do a visual inspection looking for loose or wearing components. My opinion: Routine maintenance won't stop the component failure, but it sure can give you the opportunity to spot a small problem before it causes grief on the water.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 08-05-2013, 10:41 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Reel maintenance

All of my fly reels are cleaned, and lubed. I am very particular about my reels.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:58 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Kelly. I constantly inspect, clean and maintain my reels. I am strictly a fresh water at this point, but since I was a child fishing with my father and grandfather, it was engrained in me to take care of my equipment.
von behr and chi flyfisher like this.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:13 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

One of the things I don't like about excellent Hatch Reels...there is nothing to lubricate! You can clean them, of course. I cheat and put a tiny dab of reel oil on the treads that the captive spool release nut screws onto. My wife has a Ross Reel which I cleaned and lubed for her...it failed. I sent it in for repair and they pointed out to me that I caused its failure by lubrication which in turn contaminated the drag mechanism. No lubrication required meant do not lubricate at all. Errors aside, I am a life-long reel maintainer and proud of it.
von behr and chi flyfisher like this.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:29 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I'm religious about reel maintenance. I lube regularly and oil as appropriate, put Neatsfoot oil on cork drag systems and perform regular cleanings. On week+ trips I generally open up reels and let them air dry so when I do this I inspect. All reels get broken down a couple times a year.

Cheers,
Mike
von behr and jaybo41 like this.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I fished saltwater many years with Medalists reels
If you wanted the reel to perform the next time out it had to be cleaned and oiled after every trip.
Turns out, it was a good habit to get into.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:11 PM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

The only salt water fishing I do is with spinning gear. I have been using Mitchell 300 reels for some 30 plus years and lube once a year. I don't take any special treatment to them and they show no sign of corrosion or deterioration of finish. Maybe I am just lucky. On the other hand, all of my fly reels and rods are cleaned at the end of each day. Reels are lubed with a drop of oil as Hardy recommends. My Lamsons require very little because drags are sealed and I don't mess with them. I do the same for all my guns.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:47 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

Once I get home from fishing, I take a shower. So do my reels. I do this at 4am when I am dead tired. I do it regardless how long I have been up or when I roll in. The next day or so, I pull the spool off and make sure the innards are good. Once every four or five trips, I'll strip and clean the line. I knew this was what I was in for when I bought it. I wouldn't have it any other way.
von behr likes this.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:14 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

I fish in saltwater and I wash my reels under running water. It's first after I got an Abel reel that I use soapy water and am more aware of the required maintenance.

Kim.
von behr likes this.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:16 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Grouch, unless you are fishing saltwater, that is not necessary to clean your reel at 4am. Wash it with fresh water, after it leaves the salt. If it is a freshwater reel, it won't hurt if you get a little rest, before cleaning a reel.
von behr likes this.