The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By allenflyfishing
  • 1 Post By fr8dog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Banned

chipgerrard is on a distinguished road
Default Allen fly Reels

So I'm in need for an 7/8 weight reel to put on my new sage tcx 9' 8wt for the upcoming Winter steelhead season.

I have many Abel's and was interested in another one but my wife would kill me. After seeing the deal on these Allen reels with a free spool i am very interested but scared at the same time. Are they worth it? I'm used to Abel's/ Lamsons and hatch reels. Will I just be disappointed and with I stayed with abel.

Thanks guys
Old 08-06-2013, 09:29 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allen fly Reels

I have what I believe is an earlier version of the Trout reel for my 6wt and have not been disappointed at all. I'm sure some folks who use Allen reels for some bigger quarry will weigh in as well as well.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:52 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Allen fly Reels

Get it, if there ever is a problem those guys WILL take care of you. Big thumbs up.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:10 AM

alex2 will become famous soon enough

I have an Alpha II-3 that I run with an 8wt line for fast saltwater fish.

The drag is smooth and extra strong. Unlike other reels that I have, the drag only gets cranked up to less that half of its capasity. These reels are great value for money.

Im considering a Kraken 3 to replace some of the poor drag reels I have.

Well worth the dollars I think.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:20 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

they are a steal!! i own 3 alpha 3's, 2 alpha 2's, 1 trout, and 3 trout 2's i have never experienced such great customer service and awesome quality! the machining and anodizing is top notch. after having access to hardys, sage, and other big names i still choose allen reels. i have used them in salt and in the nastiest, murky bass waters...no problems at all. give them a shot and i promise you will be amazed.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipgerrard View Post
So I'm in need for an 7/8 weight reel to put on my new sage tcx 9' 8wt for the upcoming Winter steelhead season.
Chipgerrard,

I'd be happy to phone you to help answer any questions you may have. My email is info@allenflyfishing.com. Please send me your phone number and I'll follow up with you.

Thank you,

Justin
fysh, baseman1 and bmbailes like this.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:20 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

To me a new TCX deserves a new Abel. But that's just me - and I don't fish Allen reels. The Mrs. will get over it.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:20 PM

fr8dog is on a distinguished road

I have a few Allen's. My Alpha III 3 is the one I use on my 8 wt for bones in Hi. Smooth start on the drag. Holds a bunch of backing. Got a few last week, largest went about 9. No issues, just a nice reel and the price is right. My next will be a Kraken. No regrets. Like them all.
bmbailes likes this.