The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 11:26 PM

missin44 will become famous soon enough
Question Aspen Reels?

I just stumbled onto these reels. Looks very nice at a good price point. Anyone here fished these things? Oops double post
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:05 AM

barham has a spectacular aura aboutbarham has a spectacular aura aboutbarham has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Aspen Reels?

I bought the 5/6 wt mid arbor model. It is a nice, well built reel. The only downside is that, at 5.8 ounces, it is a little heavy for some light 5 wt rods.m
barham
Old 08-09-2013, 05:15 PM

missin44 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by barham View Post
I bought the 5/6 wt mid arbor model. It is a nice, well built reel. The only downside is that, at 5.8 ounces, it is a little heavy for some light 5 wt rods.m
barham
Yeah, I was looking at the specs and thats about the only negative I can find.

If you had it to do over would you still make the purchase?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2013, 06:28 PM

barham has a spectacular aura aboutbarham has a spectacular aura aboutbarham has a spectacular aura about

Probably not. Fly rods are getting so light that I think a reel this heavy might create a problem. When you consider that one can get a Ross CLA or Galvan Standard for around $200.00, I think I would go another way than the Aspen, which is not to say anything bad about it.
barham
Old 07-04-2016, 01:42 PM

calvillo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barham View Post
Probably not. Fly rods are getting so light that I think a reel this heavy might create a problem. When you consider that one can get a Ross CLA or Galvan Standard for around $200.00, I think I would go another way than the Aspen, which is not to say anything bad about it.
barham
Well built reel, but Aspen needs to figure out how to lighten it.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:42 PM

eastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud of

There are a number of old threads on Aspen reels , here is a detailed one.

Aspen Reels

I have both the 350 LA & 325 MA and plan on another. Excellent reels and exceptional service from the company. Mine pull service on Radian 905 & 906 as well as Sage One 590. I don't find the weight to effect my casting or fishing or anything else in any way shape or form. Think about it ? do you really think .5 oz is going to screw up your cast or timing ?

Do you wear a watch or wedding band on your casting hand ? How about lines ? some of my lines are 100' , there goes the .5 oz or whatever
Old 07-04-2016, 08:21 PM

comeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
There are a number of old threads on Aspen reels , here is a detailed one.

Aspen Reels

I have both the 350 LA & 325 MA and plan on another. Excellent reels and exceptional service from the company. Mine pull service on Radian 905 & 906 as well as Sage One 590. I don't find the weight to effect my casting or fishing or anything else in any way shape or form. Think about it ? do you really think .5 oz is going to screw up your cast or timing ?

Do you wear a watch or wedding band on your casting hand ? How about lines ? some of my lines are 100' , there goes the .5 oz or whatever
Ha

I was in buying new boots the other day and the sales guy says well these are 8oz heavier than the other pair. I smiled and said well I am 6'1" 248lbs so the extra 8 oz probably wont be a deal breaker:wave towel

Same with reels I actually prefer a bit heavier reel. If holding an extra .8oz all day wears me out i have another issue to deal with. Now I don't go throwing lead bricks on there but I can't tell the difference between 4.4 and 5.2oz
fredaevans, jaybo41 and eastfly66 like this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 07-04-2016, 10:25 PM

GrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant future

A few threads to help you in your investigation:

ack, edit: I see eastfly66 already posted a link, and oddly this thread we're on is an old one, strangely brought back from the dead...Hmmm.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.

Last edited by GrtLksMarlin; 07-05-2016 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:36 PM

sndmn11 is a name known to allsndmn11 is a name known to allsndmn11 is a name known to allsndmn11 is a name known to allsndmn11 is a name known to allsndmn11 is a name known to all

I sold my two Hardy DD reels after getting an Aspen, and then just sold my two Galvans over the last few months. That leaves me only with Aspens and they would be my first choice in reels. I can tell a difference between the 3.X ounce Brookie I owned and these, but not between the more standard 5.X ounce Rush and DDs. The threads above are probably the best and most complete resources you will find without fishing one yourself.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:10 AM

eastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud ofeastfly66 has much to be proud of

Just to be clear and fair here before someone tries to tear me a new one. I am not stating my opinion is right and the other is wrong. It is simply how I see it and think it is healthy for the forum to have different perspective. It is best to determine what are priorities to you the buyer and not base the purchase on criteria provided by a so called "expert". The opinions of others are a good place to determine what your priorities are and nothing else.

BTW - Don't bid on those old Abel Reels , there way too heavy for today's rods.
comeonavs likes this.