The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By von behr
  • 3 Post By MoscaPescador

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 05:09 PM

charlieaz is on a distinguished road
Default Ross Evolution LT vs Waterworks Lamson Speedster 1.5 Fly

Greetings!

I am in the market for a 3/4 wt Reel, I really like the two reels listed above.... Price is similar , both seem high quality, anyone have either reel and have an opinion on it?

Thanks You, Cheers!

Charlie
Old 08-10-2013, 05:35 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ross Evolution LT vs Waterworks Lamson Speedster 1.5 Fly

I am a fan of the original Evolution but not the LT. I have friend who had two LTs, took them to New Zealand the both drags failed on big fish.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-10-2013, 05:38 PM

charlieaz is on a distinguished road

Hmmm.. that is interesting, someone had told me that LT and Original Evolution had the same drag system.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:41 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no experience with the Speedster, but have used Lamson in the past. I own a Evo LT 2 that has pretty much been relegated to paperweight duty since I favor spring & pawl these days. As I understand it, both the Evo and Evo 2 use the same drag. The difference between the two models is obvious in the machining but due to the nature of the new style frame, they became stronger. I've had no issues with mine, but it has had fairly limited use. I certainly never felt as though I didn't have enough reel, especially for a 4wt.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:03 AM

swampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the rough

I have a couple of the LT's and really like them. That being said I use them on 4-6 weights and haven't tested them on any trout over 20". I did use them on the San Juan and they performed well on some larger fish but have heard of drag failures before. Personally mine have always been very smooth and with an occasional greasing have never let me down. I like to balance them with lighter rods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I have no experience with the Speedster, but have used Lamson in the past. I own a Evo LT 2 that has pretty much been relegated to paperweight duty since I favor spring & pawl these days. As I understand it, both the Evo and Evo 2 use the same drag. The difference between the two models is obvious in the machining but due to the nature of the new style frame, they became stronger. I've had no issues with mine, but it has had fairly limited use. I certainly never felt as though I didn't have enough reel, especially for a 4wt.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:28 AM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieaz View Post
Greetings!

I am in the market for a 3/4 wt Reel, I really like the two reels listed above.... Price is similar , both seem high quality, anyone have either reel and have an opinion on it?

Thanks You, Cheers!

Charlie
My only experience with Ross Reels is with the Colorado series, but if I were going to purchase a reel with a conical drag, I think I'd go with Lamson. I have many litespeeds I use on 0-6wt rods that have performed flawlessly.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:55 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

I don't own any Lamsons, but I've heard good things about them. I do have an Evolution LT, and the drag is the same design as the original Evo as well as the Rhythm. The only difference is the LT has machined aluminum parts that replaced some of the plastic parts (drag knob, drag escapement ring, spool release button) on those earlier models. Otherwise, the drag design is the same. In that respect, I think the LT is more robust than the earlier Evo. The added aluminum parts were based on feedback from customers, so Ross was clearly doing their homework.

In addition to the Evo LT, I own a couple of Rhythms, and I have not had any issues.

Cheers,

-VB

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

Here are some images of the drag system on the Evo LT vs. the older Rhythm:

Click the image to open in full size.Uploaded with ImageShack.com

The ring with the four screws in it is the drag escapement ring. It is rulon (plastic) on the Rhythm, but machined aluminum on the Evo LT. You can see the difference between the old plastic drag knob on the Rhythm vs. the newer style on the Evo LT, which is machined aluminum.

The only difference between the old Evo and the Rhythm was the number of holes drilled in it. The Evo was lighter than the Rhythm, but cost quite a bit more for the machining. Other than a difference in weight, they were identical.

-VB
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:12 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Ross makes spare spools for USA built models even though they have been discontinued (except for San Miguel). This might be important if you decide that you need other line options in the future.

Dennis
von behr, jaybo41 and caseywise like this.