The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 2 Post By sweetandsalt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 10:15 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all
Default What's your opinion

I recently saw an ad for the newly introduced Tibor Signature Series 5-6 reel. They call it Saltwater Tough but Freshwater Light. It weighs in at 7 oz and is only 3 1/4" in diameter. Holds 200 to 225 feet of backing. Does this weight of reel sound a little heavy to be called "Light" ? What do you think and what do your freshwater reels normally weigh in at?
Old 08-14-2013, 10:25 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your opinion

never mind
Old 08-14-2013, 10:59 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Save for a place to 'store your fly line' one thing a reel needs to do is 'counter balance' the rod in front of your hand. Longer the rod, the more 'oz's' you may need.

fae
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:18 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I could prowl around in google, looking at the specs of other reels to see what they weigh (as could you, if interested) but my BBS III (5-7wt) weighs 3.9 oz. The Access mid arbor weighs 4.62 oz. My clunky cheap Ross reels this size weigh closer to 6 oz. I would not say 7 oz is light.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:22 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

My current 9'/#6 is balanced by a 3 7/8" reel weighing 6.9 oz. (empty). The Tibor Signature, like all Tibors, is not a light weight reel and is not intended for lightweight duty either, unless it is treated as tackle jewelry. Remember there are some who fish a fast, powerful #6 for bonefish and schoolie stripers. 7-weight is the lightest I personally go for bones but there are folks who fish for bonefish in Mexico and Belize where they are quite small on average. That is where a reel like this little Tibor would be applicable.
grouch and troutnut4 like this.