The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Allen ATS fly reel (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/328130-allen-ats-fly-reel.html)

two_nymph_rig 08-14-2013 03:16 PM

Allen ATS fly reel

Just curious on the opinions people have about this reel. I was looking at the Alpha III or Trout II, but if I can save 40-50 dollars by going with the ATS, then that is the way I want to go. I am planning on pairing it with the Allen Xa rod. I currently use a Cabelas RLS reel, so it's not like i'm used to top shelf quality in the first place. Well guys, let me hear the pros and cons about this reel. Thanks.

Joni 08-14-2013 04:37 PM

Re: Allen ATS fly reel

Allen reels now make up 95% of my gear. I have the Alpha, the Trout, the Krakken. Can't wait to get the new USA made reel, but the older models are as good as it gets.
I replace all my Orvis Battenkill LA, and my CFO with them.

two_nymph_rig 08-14-2013 06:36 PM

Joni, have you ever used or seen the ATS in person?

Joni 08-14-2013 06:52 PM

I have one. Or I should say, one of the first ones.

caseywise 08-14-2013 08:33 PM

my wife has one and its a great reel.
serious bang for your buck!!

mridenour 08-15-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joni (Post 581932)
Allen reels now make up 95% of my gear. I have the Alpha, the Trout, the Krakken. Can't wait to get the new USA made reel, but the older models are as good as it gets.
I replace all my Orvis Battenkill LA, and my CFO with them.

That sounds like a pretty ringing endorsement to me!

Joni 08-15-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mridenour (Post 582111)
That sounds like a pretty ringing endorsement to me!

To be honest, after dropping my second ENGLISH made Battenkill LA in 30 feet of water, I tried the first Allen reel (because of price). I loved the looks and everything about the reel, so I shelved all my English reels thinking I would save them for "shallow" rivers. But the Allen's are so smooth, I kinda forgot about the others.

mridenour 08-15-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joni (Post 582122)
To be honest, after dropping my second ENGLISH made Battenkill LA in 30 feet of water, I tried the first Allen reel (because of price). I loved the looks and everything about the reel, so I shelved all my English reels thinking I would save them for "shallow" rivers. But the Allen's are so smooth, I kinda forgot about the others.

I'm pretty sure that my next reel will be the Kraken for our October fishing trip to Wisconsin for salmon. My buddy bought one and it looks awesome. I am anxious to see how the drag stacks up to the Lamson Guru I got this year. They always say drag doesn't matter for trout but after having several cuts take me into the backing last month, I'll go for some quality drag!

acniemeyer 08-15-2013 10:18 AM

I have the Trout II, couldn't be happier, has been an awesome reel.. I have talked to Allen about the ATS and would pick one up in a heartbeat if I needed another reel in the price point. They have been an awesome company to deal with.

bmbailes 08-15-2013 11:38 AM

i love my ats reel. its a size one and i use it for panfish and brookies,...besides the ats i have a trout 1, my 4 trout II, and my 3 alpha III's:) i bought a trout I as a backup reel to my hardy also.....and then the allens began to multiple:) i couldnt be happier with their reels and i can't even begin to tell you how well the customer service is!! awesome company all the way around that puts out some amazing work!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...psff84241f.jpg