The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 03:16 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Allen ATS fly reel

Just curious on the opinions people have about this reel. I was looking at the Alpha III or Trout II, but if I can save 40-50 dollars by going with the ATS, then that is the way I want to go. I am planning on pairing it with the Allen Xa rod. I currently use a Cabelas RLS reel, so it's not like i'm used to top shelf quality in the first place. Well guys, let me hear the pros and cons about this reel. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allen ATS fly reel

Allen reels now make up 95% of my gear. I have the Alpha, the Trout, the Krakken. Can't wait to get the new USA made reel, but the older models are as good as it gets.
I replace all my Orvis Battenkill LA, and my CFO with them.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:36 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

Joni, have you ever used or seen the ATS in person?
Old 08-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have one. Or I should say, one of the first ones.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:33 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

my wife has one and its a great reel.
serious bang for your buck!!

ARFE
Old 08-15-2013, 07:21 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Allen reels now make up 95% of my gear. I have the Alpha, the Trout, the Krakken. Can't wait to get the new USA made reel, but the older models are as good as it gets.
I replace all my Orvis Battenkill LA, and my CFO with them.
That sounds like a pretty ringing endorsement to me!
Old 08-15-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
That sounds like a pretty ringing endorsement to me!
To be honest, after dropping my second ENGLISH made Battenkill LA in 30 feet of water, I tried the first Allen reel (because of price). I loved the looks and everything about the reel, so I shelved all my English reels thinking I would save them for "shallow" rivers. But the Allen's are so smooth, I kinda forgot about the others.
mridenour and enolaeagle like this.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:47 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
To be honest, after dropping my second ENGLISH made Battenkill LA in 30 feet of water, I tried the first Allen reel (because of price). I loved the looks and everything about the reel, so I shelved all my English reels thinking I would save them for "shallow" rivers. But the Allen's are so smooth, I kinda forgot about the others.

I'm pretty sure that my next reel will be the Kraken for our October fishing trip to Wisconsin for salmon. My buddy bought one and it looks awesome. I am anxious to see how the drag stacks up to the Lamson Guru I got this year. They always say drag doesn't matter for trout but after having several cuts take me into the backing last month, I'll go for some quality drag!
Old 08-15-2013, 10:18 AM

acniemeyer is on a distinguished road

I have the Trout II, couldn't be happier, has been an awesome reel.. I have talked to Allen about the ATS and would pick one up in a heartbeat if I needed another reel in the price point. They have been an awesome company to deal with.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:38 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

i love my ats reel. its a size one and i use it for panfish and brookies,...besides the ats i have a trout 1, my 4 trout II, and my 3 alpha III's i bought a trout I as a backup reel to my hardy also.....and then the allens began to multiple i couldnt be happier with their reels and i can't even begin to tell you how well the customer service is!! awesome company all the way around that puts out some amazing work!

Click the image to open in full size.