The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Positive Hardy news

Since the sale of Hardy went down, there has been much speculation as to what will ultimately become of the brand. It's still early on under new ownership, but I find this news to be very encouraging for those of us who enjoy Hardy products.

Hardy to Release a New 'Made in England' Version of its Famous Bouglé Reel.
mcnerney, kelkay, von behr and 2 others like this.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:42 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Positive Hardy news

I am not sure what the release of the Bougle portends for Hardy going forward as this reel has been in the works for some time...well before the ultimate purchaser of the company was determined. There is plenty of other new Hardy product too. It is future rod and reel projects...out beyond the mentioned at he IFTD Show, in web reports, SDS reel...plus retention of essential personnel that will indicate the future of this venerable brand.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:47 AM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road

If that Bougle costs less than $750.00 I'll be surprised. So, if that's good news for the average fisherman, I'd hate to hear the bad news.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:45 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageandonion View Post
If that Bougle costs less than $750.00 I'll be surprised. So, if that's good news for the average fisherman, I'd hate to hear the bad news.
So hear you, but I understand their point of view. How many are you probably going to buy? How many is the 'general fishing population' going to buy?

What 'bothers' is the 'reel cost' (pun intended) probably cost less than $100.00 to a actually produce/all in.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:26 AM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post

What 'bothers' is the 'reel cost' (pun intended) probably cost less than $100.00 to a actually produce/all in.
Yup. I'm not one of the many Hardy bashers you get over here, but there comes a point where you have to decide if you're really only paying for the name and the marketing bull. That's certainly become my view of the much revered Abel, but then I don't really care if a reel is made in England, the US or the far east (although I draw the line at China personally).
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:38 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Positive Hardy news

Sooooo hear you Bro., sooo hear you.

Edit: You should go into your user cp and post up that you're in the UK. Tonnes of questions folks would like to ask you about fishing 'on that side of the Pond.'

Fred
Old 08-19-2013, 09:47 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

The latest incantation of the Perfects are at $599 USD. Not cheap by any means, no agate line guard, but none the less UK made. If I were to drop that kind of coin for a Hardy, I'd prefer to put some folks to work in the UK. Are they the Perfects of old? No way, but still pretty cool reels to me. I'm guessing the Bouglé will be priced similar but I guess we'll know when they're released.

I realize this had been in the works prior to purchase but I guess my thought is they didn't change the plans. Anyone who's been though a buyout knows anything is fair game and nothing may be off the table. Add to that they are looking to repatriate some of the other classics like Cascapedia, Lightweight and Marquis. Hopefully they are able to retain the innovators and continue to develop new products as well. The ultimate verdict is still out but at least from my point of view, I see this as positive--for now.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageandonion View Post
Whenever you look at something with a high price you must consider a few things. How bad do you want one........... Will you keep it forever.......... Will it give you pleasure and etc.

I have one of the Cascapedia Mk II reels that were made in Alnwick and had to pay $750 plus shipping for it.

I'm what you could call 'average' because I'm not fabulously wealthy. I had to scrape the funds together for that reel for quite some time but can tell you this; I love the reel! Aside from the fact that they are not easy to break down it is perfect. The performance is tested every season on very strong fish and the looks are holding up even under the harsh use it sees here on the rivers.

If you really want a UK. made reel my best advice is that you start a special fund to cover one. You'll enjoy the reel for many years to come.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-19-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Whenever you look at something with a high price you must consider a few things. How bad do you want one........... Will you keep it forever.......... Will it give you pleasure and etc.

If you really want a UK. made reel my best advice is that you start a special fund to cover one. You'll enjoy the reel for many years to come.

Ard
So hear you Ard. Retired 'Banker' and I had my secret savings account ....

Wife: Is that a new fishing rod?

Husband: No I've had it for ages, just haven't taken it out of its rod tube for a very long time.'

Pull $100.00 for lunches, etc., at month end (I'd walk up to the Seattle Public market and eat for a dollar) and the rest went into .... well you can guess where. Even better when I found out I could drive to a Park and Ride five minutes away and get on a bus for a buck either way. $40'ish dollars per month, just for parking, went away.

Don't ask how many rods/reels I have now; not a clue!

Fred
von behr and yonder like this.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:41 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Ard,

You are too right on this one. If I'm going to pay for a Hardy, it's not just a reel that I'm buying, but a brand with some serious history behind it. It is something special, not just a machined piece of aluminum. Buying one made in China erases the mystique that is the Hardy heritage, in my opinion.

I, for one, am glad to see them returning to their roots in Alnwick. It's nice to see them offering more products made in the UK, since that's where they began.

I'm far from being wealthy as well, but I'm looking to buy a Hardy Perfect one day. I will slowly accumulate the funds necessary to pay for one.

I would never buy a Ferrari made anywhere but Italy, and I wouldn't buy a Rolex made anywhere but Switzerland. My eventual Hardy will be made in Alnwick, because it just has to be.

Cheers,

-VB