The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By theboz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 02:19 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road
Default Lamson Konic.

I send an email to Lamson asking if the Konic could be used in saltwater. Got a reply that they don't recommend it. Saying it's not anodized or machined.
From my understanding Konic are machined after being cast and has a 100% polyurethane coating. Wouldn't that survive saltwater? The drag is the same as their top end.
I'm confused.

Kim.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:27 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: Lamson Konic.

I was going to get a Konic but went ahead and got the Guru. I think it is worth the difference in price for a sturdier built reel.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

The Konic is pressure cast, not machined.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:53 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
[/COLOR]The Konic is pressure cast, not machined.
That's what I said, it's after it has been cast it's fine tuned in a machine.

Kim.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Now I'm really confused. On their website it says that it is anodized and then coated with polyurethane. :what:

Kim.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:58 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

They aren't machined, just nicely cast. They are coated and I am sure they would hold up in salt water use if properly maintained. The only real complaint I have heard on them is that they aren't as sturdy as the CNC machined reels like the Guru and the better reels in the Lamson line.

IMO, the great drag system would be better in a machined reel. If a Guru price point is too high, check out the fully machined Allen reels.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:01 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Have been using my Konic 4 in SW for 2 years now . No problems at all just give it a rinse in freshwater after each trip. Used it Monday and it was humming really nice!
krikau27 likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser