The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 10:00 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice
Default Re: Reel for Salmon Fishing

You may wish to consider a Ross CLA, probably a size 5 for your 9 weight. Disc drag, palming rim, American made, bombproof.

Scott
Old 09-11-2013, 11:01 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Given your price range I would go with one reel. The orvis access V reel @ $185. This is a fully machined, 6061 bar-stock reel with 100% sealed drag. It's not easy finding a reel with these specifications for under $200. I have multiple access reels and they are simply amazing for the money. They come in titanium, black and gold colors. If I were you I would get the access V mid-arbor, its 6oz. and 4" in diameter, the largest size in the access product line rated for 9-11 weight. You may even be able to go a size down, the access IV for 7-9 weight $175, 3.5in in diameter weighing 5oz. Thats my recommendation for under $200.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:19 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I've been loaned a fly reel to try by a certain customer-service oriented reel manufacturer. I should be able to make a good decision on a reel and not be so limited by price when I make my purchase later on.

Thanks for all the input and great advice!!!
quijibo likes this.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:31 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that I replied. Oooopps!

If you choose a Lamson, the Konic II in the size 4 has the smaller drag assembly. Guru and higher end size 4 models have the larger drag assemblies. The larger unit gives a wider drag range.

Dennis
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:12 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I would certainly suggest the Orvis over the Konic. Orvis are stronger and have amazing customer service.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 09-24-2013, 02:35 PM

20lb_steelie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by king joe View Post
Whoa....you said you didn't want to spend a lot...then talk about the Kraken...and Konic II. Yikes, both are expensive.

Read the post here about the Ebay Chinese reels. I'm just sayin'. The report there seems pretty favourable....and cheap.

King Joe Outa Here!
For a salmon reel, IMHO the Konics are the best buy. Don't want to go too cheap and risk losing a fish of a lifetime...
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:26 AM

coastrider is on a distinguished road

Cla are all you need, no lubing and they take a beating. Ive got a cla 2 & 7, both used in salt water only and never an issue.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-25-2013, 01:08 AM

fr8dog is on a distinguished road

If you've looked at the Allen's, don't rule out the Alpha III 3. I've stopped bones up to 12# with it in Hawaii. Drag starts up instantly and is very smooth. With an 8 or 9 line it holds a ton of backing. I wouldn't hesitate to take it for salmon. A good reel at a good price.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:39 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
If you've looked at the Allen's, don't rule out the Alpha III 3. I've stopped bones up to 12# with it in Hawaii. Drag starts up instantly and is very smooth. With an 8 or 9 line it holds a ton of backing. I wouldn't hesitate to take it for salmon. A good reel at a good price.
I'm going to be using a prototype reel from Allen that Justin loaned me. I will probably be going with an Allen when I buy one. Justin has pretty much convinced me with this reel and his personal interest in my success that Allen is the company to go with in this instance.
gatortransplant likes this.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:10 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

You can land big GL Salmon with a click and pawl reel, this fish came on a 1980's Hardy Bougle IV this august. Having said that in your price range I'd recommend a Lamson Guru.

Click the image to open in full size.