The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 3 Post By rockthief

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 10:53 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Reel not complete until.....

Am I weird or have a complex in that I don't feel a reel is complete until I have at least one extra spool for it?

Many of todays reels the spool is 65%+ of the cost but I got to have one.

Pete A.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:12 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Reel not complete until.....

Pete...I don't know about "complete" but have 2 spools for most reels...generally each reel has a wf or dt floater and a sink tip or I line as well. Makes more sense to me than buying/hauling and dealing with more reels.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:32 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Yep, you're weird!

Seriously, I'm just as weird I guess, but it has nothing to do with "complete" for me. I have extra spools for almost every reel I own, which is several. I also have either both floating & sinking lines for most rods & even an extra floating line for some that is a back-up in case I damage a line. Nothing worse than rigging up a rod while on a trip & finding a line that's not usable.

I agree with mikel, spools are still cheaper than reels.

However, even though I have extra spools, I only have one reel that I would consider expensive, so I probably have less money tied up in all my reels than some will for a single reel & extra spools. My primary use is for species that don't really test a reel very much, so I buy to fit my needs which is more for function of simply holding the line, which doesn't have to be expensive.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:48 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I'm probably the odd duck here with my 2handers. Each rod has its own reel and 'the line' that I'll fish with. Rare for me to swap out/reline a rod. That may sound a bit 'annal' but most have custom cut lines done by Steve Godshall here in the Rogue Valley.

You and I have exactly the same rod, highly unlikely we'd end up with the same line cut. One a little heavier, a little shorter/longer/etc. Trust me you really can feel the difference when you cast Steve's lines.

fae
baseman1 likes this.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:16 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I stopped buying spare spools a long time ago even though I have three reels with a spare each.

I found that if I do my homework right for a fishing trip, I won't have to switch lines out.

Since I do my homework before each trip, it is nice that I have my own hand crank line winder and have access to a motorized line winder. Line changes are easy.

Sinking leaders have helped me make adjustments for presentations. They are inexpensive options to carrying a loaded spare spool.

I also use watercraft as a transport or as a fishing platform. That gives me the ability to carry a spare rod or two.

If I am walking with a guide, the guide can carry my spare rod.

Lastly I would rather have a spare reel than a spare spool. If something goes wrong with a reel, a backup is readily available. Spare spools are worthless unless the reel body is working properly.

Dennis

PS: Just a going off on a tangent here. I bought a spare spool for my backup 4/5/6 reel on an auction site. I did not have the intention on buying it. I was bidding up the competition just for fun. Unfortunately, the competition did not want the spool bad enough. I ended up with the spool. At least the its cost was well below the retail cost.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:22 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
PS: Just a going off on a tangent here. I bought a spare spool for my backup 4/5/6 reel on an auction site. I did not have the intention on buying it. I was bidding up the competition just for fun. Unfortunately, the competition did not want the spool bad enough. I ended up with the spool. At least the its cost was well below the retail cost.
Sooooooooo, you're the one!

Just kidding!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:07 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

not buying spools gave me the excuse to buy more reels instead
mcnerney, kelkay and itchmesir like this.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the camp with no spare spools, I just found switching was too much of a PITA. I hear you about the cost savings but I guess I'm just too lazy or stubborn to switch out to a spare reel.

Larry

Old 09-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I stopped using extra spools in 1994 when I discovered the 'Braided Lead Head' that I have posted about so often. With these in lengths from 12" - 36" my need for sink tips was eliminated. Now I have only extra (empty) spools for reels that came with the spares.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-02-2013, 08:21 PM

44runner is on a distinguished road

I don't have any extra spools for any reel I own. I have a reel to go with every single rod I have. I never find the need for a different line in my fishing....