The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 06:32 PM

gbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nice
Default Reels similar ot older CFO III?

I have an older Orvis CFO III (+/- 15 yrs old) and am looking for a similar style reel to purchase. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Reels similar ot older CFO III?

I have to ask this, why not another vintage CFO off of eBay?

Now that I got that off my chest, a hardy Marquis #5 will be roughly the same size and weight. The Marquis will have spring and Pawl drag but different than the Orvis set up, the spools have a palming rim to assist in applying brake. The old Cortland reels were made by Hardy (pretty sure) and most have the same basic palming rim design as the Orvis. I have an LTD Graphite Disc 60 Cortland and like it just fine. Last but not least some J. Austin Forbes reels are quite similar to the CFO but are a little glitzier.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-30-2010, 11:50 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

What Ard said!

Other options:
Abel TR3 - This has been discontinued, but it can be found on eBay.
Abel Creek 2 Standard Arbor - This has a 3.5" outer diameter with a standard arbor. You can get 6 or 7 weight floaters with a modest amount of backing.

MP
Old 07-31-2010, 09:36 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Hardy is still machining fine click and pawl reels in Korea, I believe either the Princess or the LRH is in the same size class (they retail between 250-300 depending on size). If you want rim control, used Hardy Marquis, JLH's and SA Systems (not the later system one or two) originals (designated by line weights) show up on line a lot too (many for under 200). Hardy built the original Systems (identical to the Marquis), the Sage 500 series, and the CFO's and most when taken care of will out last the owners. Cortland will be introducing a machined click and pawl reel at the show that will come in under 150.

A couple of quick notes of caution, The earlier Cortland rim-fly was not a bad reel but it was made by BFR (British fly reels) not Hardy. The same is true of the later SA systems with drags.

Last edited by burk48237; 07-31-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That reminds me gbanker, do not overlook the older Orvis Battenkill 3/4 or 5/6. Not a CFO but able to handle whatever comes along. I put a few pictures on a thread in the 'Equipment For Alaska' forum showing some nice fish caught while using a 3/4 spring & pawl reel.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:08 AM

gbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nice

I have looked for CFO IIIs, not much on EBAY. There are some Battenkills but they are the newer disc drags which I dont need for the 14 - 17" trout I normally catch so still deciding what to buy. Also looking at the Hardy LRH but not many around either.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:37 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I share your appreciation for simple, no frills reels. I thought I was the only one.
Another reel I've always liked (and still do), but were never overly popular was the Ross Colorado.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 08-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi gbanker,

Take a look at the Lampson LP Fly Reel. It may be just what you have in mind. The problem is finding one. The LP-2 would be a good size.

Frank

Lampson LP-3
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:34 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I realize this thread is a bit stale, but if you're still looking the new Red Truck Diesel 3/4 is very close in size and features to the old click-drag Orvis CFO III.