The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 09:58 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: New Orvis CFO

I didn't scrutinize the video closely when I first watched it.

However, what I did see, up close and personal, was the production of some really cool CFO's at the Abel factory.

The reels were engraved, not printed. They had a retro look and feel with a few of the modern touches. The reel foot has the cutouts like the other Abels currently have. They also have a clean machined look instead of the dull cast look of the originals. I'm pretty sure I saw it with the nickel line guard as well.

Anyway, it was designed and built at the request of Orvis for Orvis, so I'm sure nothing about it has escaped their close review and approval.

The video and photos I've seen online just don't do justice to the reels I saw at the factory. I've always liked the design of the CFO, but I like this version even better.

Cheers,

-VB
Hardyreels, jaybo41 and labtrout like this.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:18 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I just spun a CFO IV and it is sitting before me. The paper line sticker inside says I mounted a line on it in 1986, the reel may be a year or two older than that. It has the T pillar but is stamped not engraved, built no doubt during the transition toward saving money on features "no one will notice". [The "great" CFO's were post the screwed in spindle of the first generation models, which did loosen, but still had the originals "T" pillar drilled for the nickel silver line guard, not the straight blind pillar, but were engraved not stamped. Circa 1980.] It has round not slotted ports in the foot and a bakelite (black plastic) handle with a domed mounting bolt. It, of course, is a casting and, though I prefer my modern reels to be machined and anodized, Hardy knew how to elegantly cast a fly reel. This reel features the buttery feel (it is in very good condition but well broken in) much beloved about these reels. This IV has a WFL5F line on it and looks awful small to me...I suppose I have gotten used to larger arbor reels as I use Nautilus FWX's or Hardy's own U DD's where, 30 years ago, I used this CFO. I do look forward to seeing this Abel-built CFO and am confident it will be a technological up-grade from the old one before me. But I think I will just keep this one for sentimental purposes; it landed some fine fish on the Delaware and Henrys Fork in its day, and opt for a Super 5N, in guide finish black with the metal handle instead.

A brace of my earliest CFO's; note the screw mount for the spindle on the IV and the elongated latch lever on the diminutive II, both signs of first generation models.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 10-29-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:47 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Sweet,

You must keep them, for they represent a time and a place in history, and were the go-to equipment for you at a particular time and place. Imitation is flattery in its highest form, and it certainly says something about the timeless nature of these reels that they are refined and reintroduced after so many years.

It also says something that you can fasten one of those reels to a rod at any time and go out and fish them with confidence.

I don't currently own a CFO, but I love the simple, elegant design and always have. I've decided that this new version will have a place in my collection of reels. I'm tempted to pair one with a new Superfine glass rod. I think that would be a winning combination.

-VB
Old 10-29-2013, 10:59 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

It appears, in the short bit of video, that the Orvis Reel Guy did indeed have the new CFO mounted on an olive colored fiberglass rod...a portent of things to come for you!
Old 10-29-2013, 11:03 AM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

I actually think the current CFO would look better on the new SF Glass considering the blank is olive with brown wraps.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:17 AM

Sweet,

You're right! I hadn't paid any attention to the rod until now. That's a nice looking set up.

I stand corrected about the line guard. It is not nickel, but is part of the machined aluminum frame, as you can see in the video. The concerns about engraved vs. printed can be put to rest. Abel uses a laser engraver to etch logos on their reels and other equipment.

-VB
Old 10-29-2013, 06:33 PM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewlushlife View Post
What would be really nice is if Orvis made a CFO V or VI that is 4" to 4"1/4 in diameter, and a 1"1/2 or 1"3/4 wide spool for spey rods. Make it a click check and people would go bonkers in the two handed world. Us spey guys like a wide standard arbor clicker for our 13" rods, sometimes you need 10-12 oz. to balance that monster.
Like these?
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:03 AM

arreflections is on a distinguished road

I am interested as well but agree the reels are too light for a 4 and up weight rod. I hope they listen.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:18 AM

arreflections is on a distinguished road

I too wish they offer the new CFO in a bigger size.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Well this thread has proven to be quite revealing, based on everything I've read here I'll have to wait until I can actually see one of these reels in person before making any judgment as to whether or not I would want one.

I still have my IV but sold my II - a 1-2-3, and a III, years ago. I may have said this before but....... when Hardy announced production facilities in S. Korea, the prices for all things Hardy built in the UK went off the chart. Being in Alaska I had little need for all the light reels so I took the money but kept my 5 weight sized CFO IV. No way would I consider that reel suitable for a #7 line and a 6 is pushing it a bit.

Based on what I've read I may have to pass on the retro reels and be happy that I kept the IV
imxer likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;