The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 08:59 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default New Orvis CFO

I know Orvis has been selling a new version of the CFO that is once again made in England.

However, I stopped in at the Abel shop recently, and they are producing a limited edition of the CFO for Orvis that is entirely produced by Abel here in California.

I don't know when it will be available, but it looks great. I didn't ask about taking any pictures of it, so I don't have an image to go with the post.

My understanding is Orvis is taking pre-orders, but I couldn't find anything on their website about it. Keep your eyes open, it should be coming soon.

-VB
Old 09-16-2013, 07:30 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Orvis CFO

Very interesting.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:50 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Sounds very interesting. Two of my favorite trout reels are the TRs and CFO clickers.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have been wanting a CFO II for a long while. Every time one appears on auction in mint shape they go way too high for me. If I have to pay 300 or more I would prefer a new one so I'll wait to see what they offer also.
mcnerney and shotgunfly like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-16-2013, 05:22 PM

bear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If I have to pay 300 or more I would prefer a new one
Sounds good but I wonder what they are going to want for them, that $300 might not be a bad deal.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:37 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Check out the last item on the page. American made CFO.

http://n1a.goexposoftware.com/events...6391464448.pdf
Old 09-17-2013, 05:19 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post

Abel may have made the first production run, but I wonder if those will be made by Abel or Ross (which Orvis recently bought) in the future. The old DXR reels were made by both Abel and Lamson at different times.

Looks like they brought back the original CFO design with the riveted spring posts but omitted the nickel-silver line guard. Too bad; it was an elegant touch. I would like to see them bring back the CFO IV as well for 6 wt lines. I think the III is a little tight even for 5 wt lines. Maybe in a year or two.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:29 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

That looks great. Adding it to my Birthday list

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post

Old 09-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Alright, $325.00 for a CFO I or $335 for a CFO II. That's better than buying on auction any day.
mcnerney, williamhj and shotgunfly like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-17-2013, 08:56 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Nice looking reel - and thanks for posting that link. I prefer that nickel link guard as well as the older riveted style. That said, it's a heck of a nice looking reel at a decent price point for a made in the USA clicker. Kudos for Orvis listening to their consumer and bringing them back.

Cheers,
Mike.