The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 11:20 AM

crockerag is on a distinguished road
Default Thoughts on Ross Evolution LT vs CLA

Looking to add a 6wt setup to the collection for carp, bass and light saltwater. Was looking to get either the Ross Evolution LT #3 or the CLA #2 or #3. The Evolution has a smaller drag system than the CLA but I do not know if that is a bad thing. Weight savings are not super important. The Evolution is certainly the "sexier" reel but it cost $100 more dollars. Will pair the reel with either a TFO Mangrove 6wt, TFO BVK 6wt, TFO MiniMag 200-300gr or Sage Approach 6wt (still need to test cast)

Right now it is all a wash to me. Any input, thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2013, 11:32 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on Ross Evolution LT vs CLA

Look for an Original Evo on Ebay. It weighs less than the LT version.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-16-2013, 01:51 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockerag View Post
Looking to add a 6wt setup to the collection for carp, bass and light saltwater. Was looking to get either the Ross Evolution LT #3 or the CLA #2 or #3. The Evolution has a smaller drag system than the CLA but I do not know if that is a bad thing. Weight savings are not super important. The Evolution is certainly the "sexier" reel but it cost $100 more dollars. Will pair the reel with either a TFO Mangrove 6wt, TFO BVK 6wt, TFO MiniMag 200-300gr or Sage Approach 6wt (still need to test cast)

Right now it is all a wash to me. Any input, thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Back in the day when I used to work in the industry I thought about bringing in Ross CLAs as demo reels. They are built very solidly and have reliable drags. Also costs are very attractive. The #3 reel is just light enough to balance well with most single handed 6 weigh rods.

Dennis
von behr likes this.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:33 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

I have a Ross Rhythm 3.5, which is basically a beefed-up Evolution with the same drag. I've used it for coho, chum and steelhead no problem. I've never had any trouble with the reel. If I were looking for a 5-6 weight reel with disc drag I'd definitely consider an Evolution based on my experience with the Rhythm.

I also have a CLA 6 on one of my double-handed rods--bought both of them a year ago. I've only caught one fish with it so can't tell you much in terms of performance but it's a well-made reel and I expect it will perform.

I like Ross reels generally--I've got four of them (two Momentums in addition to the Rhythm and CLA) and they're all good. Machined anodized aluminum, palming rims, American made, maintenance free, lifetime warranty--there's a lot to like.

Scott
von behr likes this.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:14 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

The main difference between the two will be more machining and fewer plastic parts on the LT. That's essentially the difference in price you would be paying.

Otherwise, Ross makes a very fine reel and either would be a great choice.

-VB
Old 09-17-2013, 04:05 PM

Will the drag on the CLA be more well suited for carp and bass than the drag on the Evolution?

It seems like the Evolution is a great trout reel but the drag is physically smaller than the CLA. Not sure if this tilts the game in CLA's favor...

Practical side says just get the CLA but the impulsive side says get the Evo LT
Old 09-17-2013, 06:28 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Some of my friends use larger CLA reels on their Spey rods for Steelhead. The drag system is more than adequate.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:11 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

I own and fish the following: Evo LT 1.5, CLA 1.5, CLA 4, Ross Rhythm 3. All have more than adequate drag to handle anything that I have fished for (including Steelhead). Finish is impeccable on all the reels & backing capacity is dead on accurate. Only difference I noticed was in the weights and appearances. I believe the drag designs may be slightly different but to a user that is not apparent.

I suggest getting a CLA or an older Rhythm, save some bucks and use them towards other tackle.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:45 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I have CLA in 3, 4, 6 and Evo (original) 3 & 3.5. Evo LT in 4

I love Ross reels as my sons & I wade fish in messy but redfish filled marshes. Reels get dunked every trip. Both reels stand up to this well. IMHO plastic is great where corrosion is an issue.

I like the larger drag on the CLA but can't say the EVO's will be a let down.

Here's some action pics of my sons with both reels.

Pete A.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:21 PM

Thanks everyone for their input. That Evo LT is sweet but I think I will save a few pennies and go with the CLA. Trying to figure out if I should get the CLA 2 or CLA3. Definitely do not need 175 yds of backing on the CLA3 but not sure if the physical size of the CLA 2 is too small...I am Mr. Indecisive.