The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 06:21 PM

crkoester is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis Access Mid-Arbor with St. Croix Legend Elite... pick a reel color!

Avid lifelong fisherman here... but complete and utter fly fishing newbie. I have a million and a half questions, of course... but I thought I'd start with the most inane and superficial question I could think of...

I've ordered myself a St. Croix Legend Elite 905.4 (based on great reviews and very good experience with other St. Croix rods and warranty service). It's supposed to be a nice forest green, with a "champagne" (light gold) colored handle/reelseat.

I'm looking at possibly picking up an Orvis Access Mid-Arbor to pair with this... (based on combination of good reviews, long track record of products, good customer service reputation, reasonable price point for a fully machined reel, etc)... and also partially because this reel has a very nice look that appeals to me. Color choices are black, titanium and gold.

So the question is, which will look most amazing... titanium or gold, on this Legend Elite rod with champagne hardware? Anyone have this pairing, or photos of one?

I realize that this is a fairly ridiculous question, so you don't have to tell me.

Chris
Old 09-16-2013, 06:29 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Orvis Access Mid-Arbor with St. Croix Legend Elite... pick a reel color!

All I can do is toss out what I went with,,Gold..twice. But, both of mine went on 'brown'ish' rods. I'm not much on color coordination,,so my wife says lol

But I got a Hardy DD in sliver and love it too. It went on a green T and T.

The black Access would probably show wear quicker than the gold or silver but might fit more rod color range. psst ! I'm not as style challenged as the mizzis makes it out to be !

What can I say, I like both silver and gold more than black. The Access are fine reels from what I can tell in the last year or so of use. Outta fit like a glove to hand on the ELite.

Mike
Old 09-18-2013, 12:06 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Orvis Access Mid-Arbor with St. Croix Legend Elite... pick a reel color!

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

Here's a pic of the gold access matched with the champagne hardware on my access rod. I can tell you they match beautifully. I can also tell you the titanium is not bright, it doesn't pop. The gold however, pops, and would look soooooo good on that legend elite. That will be one sweet combo my friend.
P.S. don't feel bad about being superficial, when it comes to a man's fishing gear, many are picky about color combinations, enjoy it
Old 09-18-2013, 03:04 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I love my reels in black but that's just me. I think the gold would look good on that rod as well.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 09-18-2013, 09:23 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I have black reels too. Classic look,,but just sometimes,,if this kinda thing bothers someone,,they will show wear a tad more. But we use this stuff and really,,it should show use,,,character wear. Abuse wear on anything makes me sick.

Had a black truck once,,most beautiful truck I ever owned,,,when it was fresh washed. Other times,,not so much. Black is classic, but it does show imperfections rather easily.

I really did not mean to insult anybodies black reels or gear.
Mike
Old 09-18-2013, 10:01 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I like the titanium a little better than the gold. I don't believe I have a gold reel, yet.