New Redington Drift 2/3 reel question

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Right up front, I am probably reporting a non-problem. Just like a little reassurance since I am VERY new at this FF thing and this is a brand new setup. Rigged up my Redington CT 3WT 7-6 with a Drift 2/3 reel with cheap LL Bean line. Casts awesome, drag adjustment range is there, but it is very, very light even when set full tight. Maybe a pound of max drag but that is a guess. I realize this is a light setup, and palming the reel is the real drag I will use 98% of the time. A 1/2 pound bluegill would spool me at will if I don't palm the reel.

Only thing I have for comparison is my other rod. It's a St Croix 5wt with an Okuma SLV disc drag. That reel's max drag is similar to a traditional spinning reel I am used to if you take it up real tight.

thanks, Dewayne

aggieoutlaw

Reaction score
Click drag systems are notoriously light. The Drift is no exception. You will need to palm it on any substantial fish. I almost wish there was no adjustment if it is virtually worthless. It's a nice light reel for the money tho.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
It is a very light reel, and that was important to me. I'll be fortunate to have a fish or two on the drag per year where I intend to use it. Casting in tight cover was the goal and it will do that very welll.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I have caught an 18 inch wild Rainbow Trout in moving water with a 2/3 Drift. The reel did not birds nest. There was just enough resistance in the drag mechanism.