The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 08:13 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default New Redington Drift 2/3 reel question

Right up front, I am probably reporting a non-problem. Just like a little reassurance since I am VERY new at this FF thing and this is a brand new setup. Rigged up my Redington CT 3WT 7-6 with a Drift 2/3 reel with cheap LL Bean line. Casts awesome, drag adjustment range is there, but it is very, very light even when set full tight. Maybe a pound of max drag but that is a guess. I realize this is a light setup, and palming the reel is the real drag I will use 98% of the time. A 1/2 pound bluegill would spool me at will if I don't palm the reel.

Only thing I have for comparison is my other rod. It's a St Croix 5wt with an Okuma SLV disc drag. That reel's max drag is similar to a traditional spinning reel I am used to if you take it up real tight.

thanks, Dewayne
Old 09-17-2013, 08:36 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough
Default New Redington Drift 2/3 reel question

Click drag systems are notoriously light. The Drift is no exception. You will need to palm it on any substantial fish. I almost wish there was no adjustment if it is virtually worthless. It's a nice light reel for the money tho.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:02 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New Redington Drift 2/3 reel question

It is a very light reel, and that was important to me. I'll be fortunate to have a fish or two on the drag per year where I intend to use it. Casting in tight cover was the goal and it will do that very welll.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:44 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Redington Drift 2/3 reel question

I have caught an 18 inch wild Rainbow Trout in moving water with a 2/3 Drift. The reel did not birds nest. There was just enough resistance in the drag mechanism.