The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Lamson Velocity Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/331863-lamson-velocity-reels.html)

hoyt3065 09-19-2013 09:09 AM

Lamson Velocity Reels

I just ordered a couple Lamson velocity reels to set up a couple rods as I'm just getting into the sport, even though I've been fishing with my conventional reels for a long time. I wouldn't have bought them at full MSRP as my first reels, but the closeout prices were just too good to pass up. I picked up a number 2 and a number 3 and I'm planning on setting them up as a 5wt and a 7wt paired with echo 3 rods.
I'm interested in hearing what any of you guys that have used these reels think about them. I'll be doing my practicing in some local ponds and lakes and streams and hopefully once I have the casting down better I'll make some mini trips over the the mountains and so on. from what I hear there are some decent spots in western Maryland Pennsylvania and Virginia to check out.

mridenour 09-19-2013 09:11 AM

Re: Lamson Velocity Reels

I don't have a Velocity but I fish a Guru. I love the quality and drag of the Lamson products. I think you will love those reels.

stl_geoff 09-19-2013 09:15 AM

They are changing the spool cosmetically, same with the litespeed and they can now be had for 30-40% off. They are good reels, I almost bought one.

kglissmeyer1 09-19-2013 09:38 AM

Velocity is the best reel I've ever owned. I would recommend it to anyone.

Kelly.

stl_geoff 09-19-2013 10:51 AM

And just as an FYI, the new spools will work with the older model reels.

MoscaPescador 09-19-2013 11:45 AM

For your applications, the Velocity reels are excellent. You will enjoy them.

If you are like having spare spools, you may want to get them now. I am not sure if the newer models have different finishes or new dimensions, but it is nice to know that you have a matching set.

Dennis

stl_geoff 09-19-2013 01:51 PM

The change is purely cosmetic to the spool.

20lb_steelie 09-24-2013 02:38 PM

Lamson = Best drag available. You should buy any large reel on drag quality over looks. Good choice!

troutnut4 09-24-2013 05:17 PM

I agree with the previous comments, excellent reels (design and warranty). Drag design is typical for all their reels. I bought the Velocity 2 with an extra spool to accommodate two rods and was impressed with it that much so I went back and also bought the Litespeed 1.5 and the "Speedster" 1.5. As you can see, I am a gear junkie. No regrets. :D

bwf 09-28-2013 01:02 PM

Very good and durable reels. Caution: Do not separate spool from reel when rinsing after saltwater use.