The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 09:09 AM

hoyt3065 is on a distinguished road
Default Lamson Velocity Reels

I just ordered a couple Lamson velocity reels to set up a couple rods as I'm just getting into the sport, even though I've been fishing with my conventional reels for a long time. I wouldn't have bought them at full MSRP as my first reels, but the closeout prices were just too good to pass up. I picked up a number 2 and a number 3 and I'm planning on setting them up as a 5wt and a 7wt paired with echo 3 rods.
I'm interested in hearing what any of you guys that have used these reels think about them. I'll be doing my practicing in some local ponds and lakes and streams and hopefully once I have the casting down better I'll make some mini trips over the the mountains and so on. from what I hear there are some decent spots in western Maryland Pennsylvania and Virginia to check out.

Last edited by hoyt3065; 09-19-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:11 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: Lamson Velocity Reels

I don't have a Velocity but I fish a Guru. I love the quality and drag of the Lamson products. I think you will love those reels.
mcnerney and troutnut4 like this.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:15 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

They are changing the spool cosmetically, same with the litespeed and they can now be had for 30-40% off. They are good reels, I almost bought one.
mcnerney likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-19-2013, 09:38 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Velocity is the best reel I've ever owned. I would recommend it to anyone.

Kelly.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:51 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

And just as an FYI, the new spools will work with the older model reels.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-19-2013, 11:45 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

For your applications, the Velocity reels are excellent. You will enjoy them.

If you are like having spare spools, you may want to get them now. I am not sure if the newer models have different finishes or new dimensions, but it is nice to know that you have a matching set.

Dennis
Old 09-19-2013, 01:51 PM

The change is purely cosmetic to the spool.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-24-2013, 02:38 PM

20lb_steelie is on a distinguished road

Lamson = Best drag available. You should buy any large reel on drag quality over looks. Good choice!
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:17 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Lamson Velocity Reels

I agree with the previous comments, excellent reels (design and warranty). Drag design is typical for all their reels. I bought the Velocity 2 with an extra spool to accommodate two rods and was impressed with it that much so I went back and also bought the Litespeed 1.5 and the "Speedster" 1.5. As you can see, I am a gear junkie. No regrets.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:02 PM

bwf is on a distinguished road

Very good and durable reels. Caution: Do not separate spool from reel when rinsing after saltwater use.