The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 10:09 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough
Default Pairing for Scott Radian 5wt

Just got the new Scott Radian. Just curious what reels you guys are using and how they are balancing out?

Thanks
Randy
Old 09-20-2013, 07:36 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pairing for Scott Radian 5wt

Randy, You are among the first to get one so you may have to lead the way. I suggest trying several loaded reels from your own or your friends shop collection, even if they have the wrong line on them, to get a sense of balance. The one that is just right will set the (empty) weight standard, say 4.8 oz. (hypothetically, but it will be in that ball park) then you can search reels you like for one of that weight with the capacity and performance you want. I would think Nautilus and Galvan would be candidates but Ross Reels are built in the same town as the Radian so they need to be considered as well. What are your reel preferences?
Old 09-20-2013, 09:09 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Like sweetnsalt said, Looks like your gunna be trailblazing buddy. I tend to agree with a slightly heavier reel than most recommend, getting up over 4 oz. is certainly what I'd do. If I was trying to be cost savy I would think about wither the orvis mid-arbor access III reel at 4.6 oz and 3"1/4 diameter spool, or the access IV at 5.3 oz. and 3"1/2 diameter, the black would match nicely with the radian harware. If I were to step it up I may go with hardy widespool perfect, its a dark metallic almost black color that I think would match well and can get one with sufficient weight to balance. When the rod is as nice as the radian pairing it with a nice classic reel is a beautiful thing. The abel trout series is very nice standard arbor black reel with wooden handle, the 5-6 weight model is 4.3 oz. and a spool dia of 3"1/4. I think a hardy cascapedia would look sweet, its 8 oz. however. Islander LX series reels are a fantastic choice if you want the mid-arbor design, worth a look. I would also consider a few models from the bauer line of reels, seems like people either love or hate bauer, I certainly love them, take a look. Those would be my suggestions for now, obviously there are other great choices out there, good luck.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:55 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Normally I would recommend the Ross Evolution LT as its pretty hard to beat in terms of looks. weight and cost. That being said, the Radian is a pretty class rod and it deserves a classy reel. My choice would be the Abel Super series. I would lean towards the 4N over the 5N as the Radian is also pretty light and I would want to keep the weight under 4.5 oz to better balance the rod. An Able Creek would be pretty sharp to if you like click-pawl drag....
Old 09-23-2013, 01:45 PM

kuch is on a distinguished road

On my new Radians, I have found the following rod/ reel combos to be a perfect match in terms of balance and feel when fishing.

Radian 9'-0/ 4 line - Abel 4N (Large Arbor)
Radian 9'-0/ 5 line - Abel 5N (Large Arbor)
Radian 9'-0/ 6line w/ FB - Hatch 5 plus (Large Arbor) The Abel 6N balances well but in my opinion, I like the Hatch 5 better for a 6wt reel.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:02 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuch View Post
On my new Radians, I have found the following rod/ reel combos to be a perfect match in terms of balance and feel when fishing.

Radian 9'-0/ 4 line - Abel 4N (Large Arbor)
Radian 9'-0/ 5 line - Abel 5N (Large Arbor)
Radian 9'-0/ 6line w/ FB - Hatch 5 plus (Large Arbor) The Abel 6N balances well but in my opinion, I like the Hatch 5 better for a 6wt reel.
New Radians? Plural ? You must work for Scott or a shop that carries Scott

When you have a chance please write up a review of this fine rods!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:12 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post

I'll second the latter sentiment. No matter how many Radians you have experience with, please let us know about it.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:19 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

A properly balanced Hatch, perhaps a black 4+, is a suggestion I can second and, if we are heading up-scale and continuing with the made in Montrose theme, how about a Ross F1 in black to match Radian's hardware.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:23 AM

kuch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post

Neither. I spent my hard earned dollars on 3 new Radians. Without an intensive review, the limited material that is our there is pretty accurate about the Radian. I think the 5 and 6 weights are simply the best fast action rods in those line weights that I have ever fished. Simply amazing. The 4 wt is tough for me because I tend to fish a lot of different situations with a 4weight. I still like my G2 8'-8 4 weight for most of the smaller stream fishing that is inside of 30 feet. The 4 line Radian is great for bigger water, heavier flies, wind, etc.. Overall superior rods.
fireroad and glacierjohn like this.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:51 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuch View Post
Neither. I spent my hard earned dollars on 3 new Radians. Without an intensive review, the limited material that is our there is pretty accurate about the Radian. I think the 5 and 6 weights are simply the best fast action rods in those line weights that I have ever fished. Simply amazing. The 4 wt is tough for me because I tend to fish a lot of different situations with a 4weight. I still like my G2 8'-8 4 weight for most of the smaller stream fishing that is inside of 30 feet. The 4 line Radian is great for bigger water, heavier flies, wind, etc.. Overall superior rods.
Please add your thoughts on the Radian to the Radian thread in the Rod's section. I totally get what you are saying about 4 weight fast action rods. My favorite around rod is my four weight Scott G904/4, and I have another slower action three weight Winston WT. Slow-medium action and light line sizes seem to go well together.

Did you compare the Radian to ant other rods?

Thanks,

John