The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 01:00 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough
Default Cabela's Wind River

I was at Cabela's yesterday picking up my new CT. While I was there I took a look at Cabela's Wind River reel. Don't need a new reel, but these seemed surprisingly nice for a $30 reel. Any experiences?
Old 09-22-2013, 01:48 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cabela's Wind River

I like them. Have three. They are regularly on clearance for $20. Best $20 reel ever.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:20 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

I have one on a new reddington CT 4wt, but have not had a chance to cast it yet. I like the looks and the balance on the rod. One day soon I'll cast it.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:32 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

For $20 you probably won't find a better reel. But personally I like my CT with an old vintage click n pawl. J.W. Young Condex is what I have on mine
Old 09-27-2013, 07:43 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

It's a very good $30 reel, and an outstanding $20 reel. Watch for it to go on sale. I use one with my 9-wt bass rod and I'm very pleased with it.

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:33 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Thought I would bump this as they can still be had for $20 shipped though tonight.

Very nice reel for the money. Looks a lot better in my hand than it did on the internet. Drag adjusts smoothly and tightens up firm. Just a little too heavy in the smaller sizes. I'd highly recommend it for a great starter aluminum reel at a plastic reel price. Mine has a touch of run out at the spool edge. I really can't find anything else to complain about for a reel that costs about the same as the flyline backing it will hold.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:03 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I have their #1 on my 8'6" 3wt CT. It will balance on one finger on the cork. Hey, I got bored tonight waiting for the fish to settle down after some ducks spooked them.
Seriously its a perfect reel for that rod, and it has a more robust drag than the Redigington Pursuit I bought for the five weight. It might **** out tommorow, but I've fished for a couple of weeks now and I like it. I'm not sure I'd buy one for an eight wt, but for a three, four or five? I like them, and at twenty, or even thirty bucks I don't think you can beat them.

Caveat, if you plan getting fish on the drag regularly, spend more. Okumas, Prestige Premire, Battenkills, higher end Redington, Lamson, all for under a hundred. But for most trout/panfish/small bass applications I like these reels. And if I'm wrong? You're only out thirty bucks.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:09 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Only 20 bucks tonight and that is why I am hyping them. I understand they are on sale frequently but you usually need a real order for free shipping.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:49 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Only 20 bucks tonight and that is why I am hyping them. I understand they are on sale frequently but you usually need a real order for free shipping.
Right there with you. If you fish trout or pan fish and don't try one you're missing out. Seriously, its a darn solid, light weight, ported aluminium reel with a very respectable drag for twenty bucks and free shipping. Try one. What do you have to lose?

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Damn you IATROUTER! I just talked myself into buying another one! I have an old Leonard that I've treaded as a museum piece. Talking about these reels made me realize that's silly. What good is it doing me in the closet? It lives at my fathers house, since he has room to store stuff, a fact I take advantage of, so come my next trip over to the Glades its going fishing. I just bought a Wind River 5wt reel, a house brand WF5F line and 200yds of backing for $52 shipped. You can't beat that with a stick. Folks, I don't work for cabelas, but for the price of a line I just got a solid reel loaded.
craigthor likes this.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:02 PM

We're on the same side of this discussion here, but the WR reel is not light. In size one it weighs 2 1/2 times what my Galvan Brookie weighs. There is the matter of the Galvan costing literally ten times as much though.

In larger sizes the WR is much closer to the weight of better reels.
craigthor likes this.