The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 11:00 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Click and Pawl Reels

Gentlemen, May I refer you to two posts in this forum below this one that may further inform the OP; New CFO built by Abel and Pairing for Scott Radian. As I have oft written, I am an old time fan of classic Hardy reels and have fished many including the built for Orvis CFO for decades in a variety of sizes. And, in small size rods in low performance, small stream environments, still do. I recently fished an 8'/#4 medium action rod mounted with my venerable and perfectly balancing match up, CFO IV and posted an image in the Rod Love thread.

But time marches on and our new rods like this powerful, quick recovering Sage ONE 9'/#4 and the Radian in the below thread offer performance way beyond small fish in small creeks. I use a rod of this size, an NRX 9'/#4 on rivers as big as the Missouri in Montana for trout well over 20" and it did the job with aplomb. But not with a spring and pawl clicker. Now there are so many light weight trout size reels with smooth, reliable and tippet protecting, adjustable, actual drag mechanisms that more appropriately match the performance potential of new rods like ONE. Some have sonorous and subtle click sounds too. OK, I went to a car show exclusively dedicated to old British sports cars like Triumphs, MG's and Austin Healy's, last weekend. It was a lot of old-fashioned and sentimental fun and I get the retro thing. Don't think there weren't plenty of folks arriving in new Miata's, BMW and Audi roadsters coming to adore the Midgets and MGB's that started it all.

Retro is fine if that is your gig but if you buy a ONE, Radian, NRX, H2, et al; you are going top flight contemporary, high performance and the appropriate matching reel is no antiquated low performance clicker but a large arbor, smooth drag, equivalently modern reel that is better for the fish too as they can be brought to net more efficiently using a bit of drag setting. I would select by perfectly balancing weight, but Nautilus FWX, Galvan Torque, Hardy Ultralite DD, Hatch, diminutive Abel Supers and a bunch of others are suitable contenders to mate with such a great new rod.

Orvis "Western" 8'/#4 and CFO IV, both circa 1980's, still in small stream use today:
Click the image to open in full size.

G.Loomis "StreamDance" 8 1/2'/#4 and Nautilus FWX 5/6, 2013, lighter yet far more capable in a broader spectrum of environments:
FrankB2, von behr, jaybo41 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 09-25-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:07 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I agree with Sweet and Salt, you just can't hold a big fish in current with a Click and Pawl reel.

FrankB2, kelkay and baseman1 like this.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:58 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
I agree with Sweet and Salt, you just can't hold a big fish in current with a Click and Pawl reel.

I assume that you did actually do so with a Click and Pawl reel?
Old 09-25-2013, 11:10 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
I assume that you did actually do so with a Click and Pawl reel?
Yep, an 80's Bougle Mark IV 4" on a 11 1/2 8 wt switch rod. I've been fishing Click and Pawl for pretty every thing but GL flats carp and SW for years. Including semi-amual AK trips for Silvers and Steelhead sized bows, and I've never had an issue with freeze up or overrun. At least not on a Hardy. My personal best on Click and Pawl is a just under 30 pound MI KIng, an 18 pound OH Steelie, and 14 pound Alaskan Silver. I won't comment about one other C & P reel I tried that a NC quality fishing water Rainbow blew up. I'll never fish or recommend that high end C & P again.
biggie_robs likes this.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:33 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

For click and pawl reels, my vote goes for the Redington Drift. It's machined very well and it just plain "feels" nice. I have the 2/3 and love it.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:27 PM

mtbusman will become famous soon enough

If the sound made by a fine click and pawl reel truly thrills and is important, then I would go with a Hardy or a CFO. I have an old Orvis Battenkill (80s vintage, when they were cast magnesium alloy with click & paw drag) that is so lightweight I still use it backpacking. It's lighter than my original CFO and is more narrow so I get decent line retrieve.

For the most part those days are gone for me, however. I wore out an Orvis Presentation EXR III click & paw and went with an Ross original Evolution for my six weight. It's got a smooth drag I can crank up when I need to. I won't argue with the man who can land huge fish on a click and paw reel like the one seen in the post above. I just enjoy how the evolution handles Missouri bows. And, there's very little maintanence needed. A few years back, I retired my CFO III from my small stream fishing -- I wanted a large arbor reel for better line retrieve. But I admit . . . I do miss the sound the CFO made when a trout took a nice run. It's one of the sweetest sounds an angler can hear.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:53 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

If no one has said so, MTBusman, welcome to the forum. Whereabouts do you hang your hat in "North Central Montana", a fair sized bit of country.

No none argues that you CAN NOT land large fish of all kinds with spring and pawl reels; many a huge Atlantic salmon has been taken on classic Hardy's and Lee Wulff caught a sailfish on a reel of such a design. My point, and I suspect you agree, is not anti-click check but pro fine-tunable drag in favor of the fish. Where large fish have room to run there is little doubt, given equal skill and experience, that a fish comes to net some % more quickly using a large arbor, drag endowed reel than with a spring and pawl model. If not better for the angler who loves the traditional sound, it is, I believe, better for the fish to be landed and released more quickly.
FrankB2 likes this.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:56 PM

fishenfool is on a distinguished road

Could try a Redington Rise. Not spring and pawl but sounds an awful lot like one. Also an amazing looking reel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2013, 09:48 PM

mtbusman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
If no one has said so, MTBusman, welcome to the forum. Whereabouts do you hang your hat in "North Central Montana", a fair sized bit of country.

No none argues that you CAN NOT land large fish of all kinds with spring and pawl reels; many a huge Atlantic salmon has been taken on classic Hardy's and Lee Wulff caught a sailfish on a reel of such a design. My point, and I suspect you agree, is not anti-click check but pro fine-tunable drag in favor of the fish. Where large fish have room to run there is little doubt, given equal skill and experience, that a fish comes to net some % more quickly using a large arbor, drag endowed reel than with a spring and pawl model. If not better for the angler who loves the traditional sound, it is, I believe, better for the fish to be landed and released more quickly.
I agree. In the good old days when I was mainly throwing streamers through the winter months, I would hook into some Missouri River trout that would pull hard and run fast. I actually did wear out one click and paw reel sold by Orvis (Presentation EXR, made in Argentina) -- I called or wrote to see if they would sell me a new spring but alas, for that model, they were not available. When I went to a large arbor, sealed drag reel, I found it easier to bring fish to net. I would agree with you that I was able to land them a little sooner, and therefore release them in better shape.

I won't go on record saying that an angler can't, with palming and other methods, supplement the click and paw drag to accomplish what one can do with one of the newer reels. But I think it's easier to land strong fish with the large arbor conical drag reels. And when stuff is easier, more anglers can pull it off.

I like to fish some smaller streams for wild fish and most of the time, these can be landed even without using a reel. But now and then, I'd want to play a nice fish on the reel. My CFO had such a smooth drag, and like I said earlier, the song of its click and paw drag, like that of a Hardy, is unsurpassed. But I couldn't always reel in fast enough on some fish. I went to a lightweight large arbor and it helped.

Thanks for the welcome. As to my location, I live about a hundred and ten miles from Craig.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

To be honest about why I switched from click and paw reels, there's something more to add -- but my previous post grew so long I tried to put it in a new post, but the system just added it here.

For me, it was also the maintenance. When it comes to my lines and reels, I'm something of a clean freak. After wearing out an 80s vintage Orvis Battenkill from improper care, I decided to do better with my CFO and a subsequent battenkill I bought used. I not only would clean the spindle and paw after each use, I would clean the grooves in the gear on the spool. When the lubricant took on a metalic or dirty color, I used a toothpick to remove it from the gear. I was determined to make this CFO last forever! (I know, I'm kind of crazy.) I would go fishing on a Friday, and spend a good deal of time on Saturday watching college football and cleaning my tackle. This worked for me, but my wife thought it was obsessive.

So, another advantage of my new reels is that they're almost maintenance free. Yes, I still check them to see if I need to clean them after each use, but it's a breeze to wash them off if they got into the water and got a little dirty. Of course, now on Saturdays I have time for other things . . . like yard work. Oh . . . on second thought, maybe I should go back to my click and paw reels!

Last edited by mtbusman; 10-14-2013 at 02:51 AM. Reason: additional thoughts, editing down others
Old 10-14-2013, 01:40 PM

gutterpunk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaynes View Post
Planning to purchase an Orvis Battenkill II click and pawl for my wife... any feedback on these?
Probably the best reel for the money out there.