The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hardy marquis salmon reels

I've heard of the 'Deathstar' but don't know anything about them, I assumed it was a term of endearment for the Sage TCX Spey rod, so after seeing your post I looked further into it and your correct it is for a specific rod. It looks like lines in the 525gr+ range are the norm so I would imagine the HM 2 would work.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by river right View Post
so it seems that for steel this isn't a bad reel haha
Yes.
For the "HOT" BC Steelhead runs it may not be a great fit, but for the application your asking about it should work fine.
wannafish likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 09-29-2013, 08:25 PM

river right is on a distinguished road

haha its all good, that's what forums are here for man, the exchange of info haha
Old 09-29-2013, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Plenty of reel for steelhead indeed, be sure to put lots of backing on it so it looks good mounted up.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-29-2013, 10:55 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Granted our MI Kings aren't as big, but when I had one as a sample it handled plenty of 15-25 pound MI Kings. I've landed Chrome Silvers in AK to 15 pounds with one. And I know for a fact that April Volkey regularly uses a Salmon #2 on big Skenna system Steelhead. As far as Bougles, I've put a 29 pound Chrome King in the net with one this season.

Would I want one for 40-60 pound AK kings, probably not, but I've yet to lose an Andromonous fish because I had a Click and Pawl reel spooled up instead a modern disc drag reel. And I can't say the same about modern disc drag reels.
wannafish and thenewlushlife like this.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:36 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I love my HM Salmon 1 and 2. I use the 1 on my 12' to 13' two-handers, the 2 on my 13' to 14' rods. They are the English-made versions. I've landed atlantics to just over 20 pounds on each. Lots o' fun! I have a salmon 3 (Korean) that I keep meaning to sell because its too heavy for any of my rods.

Gary
wannafish likes this.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:23 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

I use my marquis #2 on all of my spey rods, sage z-axis 5126, z-axis 7136 and z-axis 8110, The reel balances all of these rods beautifully, Its got a good amount of weight for balancing and would fit a 7126 tcx very nicely IMO. Also, the deathstar would be a great rod for large winter BC steelhead, the deathstar has more backbone than your average 7 weight and can leverage fish in the 30+ range. Back to the marquis, its a great reel for the money, and hardy is a great company to deal with, My first marquis broke, so hardy simply sent me a new reel no questions asked, theyre the best!
wannafish likes this.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:42 PM

the last person I talked to "in person" said they didn't like the HM because the rivets would rattle loose after a little while. thoughts?
Old 09-30-2013, 06:55 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I can't deny I had to send my Korean made Hardy Marquis Salmon 1 back to have the pawl post rivet replaced...but I can't help loving it anyway

If you fished it, and heard the sound it makes, and the way the shiny rim glints in the sun, and...well, you'd understand.
gt05254 likes this.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:02 PM

so hardy is pretty good about getting reels back to you? how's the warranty?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewlushlife View Post
Back to the marquis, its a great reel for the money, and hardy is a great company to deal with, My first marquis broke, so hardy simply sent me a new reel no questions asked, theyre the best!
Looks like they stand behind their warranty.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/