The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 04:28 PM

river right is on a distinguished road
Default hardy marquis salmon reels

does anyone have an opinion on this reel? I was thinking on the bougle but that might out of my price range. any input would be awesome, thanks!
river right
Old 09-29-2013, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: hardy marquis salmon reels

HI,

I have used them for silvers and large trout but found them inadequate for king salmon. If you are fishing for species that will top out around 12 pounds or so the Marquis II will handle things with some palm work. For big game I use disc reels like the old Orvis Vortex and Odyssey reels. I also have & use a Hardy Cascapedia Mk II and one of their new Uniqua large arbor reels which both have good drags.

The Marquis are classic and you'll never tire of seeing it on your rod but if you get into one of those kings that really takes off you better be wearing a glove

I catch a lot of salmon (silvers) and large trout using a Hardy Featherweight, anything can be done but if I expect salmon while trout fishing I now mount a CFO IV because of the palm rim. The Marquis will be nice, what are you mounting it on and for what will you fish?

Ard
caseywise and mridenour like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-29-2013, 06:15 PM

it will go on my dec hogen II 13 foot 7 weight, and maybe on my tfo 13,6 8/9. and steelhead will be my primary target, and the rare king
Old 09-29-2013, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by river right View Post
it will go on my dec hogen II 13 foot 7 weight, and maybe on my tfo 13,6 8/9. and steelhead will be my primary target, and the rare king
I just bought the HM Salmon 2 as a gift for Mrs Fysh along with a Decho '2' 12' 9" 6.5wt(tweener weight) and as soon as I put it on the rod it was quickly apparent it was too big, I've down sized it to a HM Salmon 1.

It will work on the 7wt, and it will be an even better fit on your 8/9 weight.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You know me John, no such thing as a reel being too big

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-29-2013, 06:52 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I love the Marquis Salmon reels; looks,sound, and performance but I have only landed fish up to ~15lbs on it and I believe Ard when he says you'll want a good disc drag reel on bigger fish.

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

fyshstykr, which do you think; the Marquis 1 or II would be a better fit for the Deathstar?
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Wannafish, it all depends on the size and type of line/heads your fishing. Which 'Deathstar" do you have?

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
You know me John, no such thing as a reel being too big

Yup! And normally I tend to lean that direction too, but I had 250yds of 20# backing loaded and still had mega room left for running line and a scandi compact. everything just seemed too far out of proportion so I made the decision to go with the HM Salmon 2. Factor into the decision also....it's for a girl!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-29-2013, 07:42 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Ha, sorry I thought there was only one Deathstar; the 7wt 12"6" TCX! I have a Marquis I but I was thinking the II would be better suited to that rod until I saw your post about changing to the I from the Marquis II
Old 09-29-2013, 08:14 PM

so it seems that for steel this isn't a bad reel haha
Old 09-29-2013, 08:18 PM

yeah, sorry to kind of hijack your thread there