The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 08:41 PM

matt0058 is on a distinguished road
Default Ross Momentum LT #5 squeak!

Hey guys I purchased this reel last year but I haven't really put it to the test yet but I noticed the other day that when the drag is tight the reel squeaks a but. The reel feels fine though the drag feels smooth even when tight and feels like it just came out of the box. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this reel or had a similar experience. Thanks guys.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:39 AM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Ross Momentum LT #5 squeak!

I get a little squeak now and then on my Ross Evolutions. When I do I just put a bit of lithium grease on the shaft of the reel and it always takes care of the problem. Worth a try.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:44 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

My guess is greasing up the shaft will solve the issue as was already stated.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:50 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

My wife has a Ross Rhythm on a 4-weight and a couple years ago during pre-trip-prep, I did a nice thing and put a drop of reel oil on the spindle for her. Good thing we have back up everything because I ruined her Rhythm. I had to send it back to Ross who told me I contaminated the drag mechanism by lubricating the reel. They sent it back good as new and told me not to lube their reels...OK, fine. Anyway, I had used Hardy medium viscosity reel oil and it apparently traveled down the spindle into the drag. A viscous grease should not do that but beware the Ross-Lubrication Conundrum.