The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 10:30 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Hatch Love.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
This is what I am talking about! I know more folks out there have 'em, lets see 'em!

It really does amaze me how good these reels look, for as simple and "clean" as they are!
troutn likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:49 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I actually don't think that there are a lot of great reels out there; there are a few and Hatch is one of them.

Here is why: Hatch Reels are designed from scratch to be as good as a reel can be, designed and built in California, USA. The drag design maximizes surface sweep area by stacking discs of alternating stainless steel and a proprietary synthetic which are not stock parts, they are machined in house and enclosed in a maintenance free, compact housing that takes up rather minimal space in the reels large arbor design. This drag module is scalable; different diameter and number of discs relative to the size and line capacity or the reel and linear and fine tunable in it setting range. Along with the Abel Super Series, these reels are the only ones whose design is consistent and effective from trout to tarpon sizes. The spool is attached to the housing via a captive, threaded, knurled nut which can not be lost or broken and relies on no springs, levers or buttons that can potentially fail. The handle is comfortable, handsome and failure proof and, at least in larger sizes, features it own bearing. The counterbalance is flattened and rounded to preclude getting line caught up on it. The reel foot is machined as an integrated part of the housing frame, no screws to ever loosen and it looks really cool. Can it be bent and wouldn't that be hard to repair? I imagine that could be a problem; I have not seen one so damaged, have any of you?

Most important to me, the designers of Hatch Reels did a very cool thing. They measured the typical internal diameter of a stripping guide and its distance from the reel. They measured the oscillation of line under load between these two points and calculated the optimal with of the reel's spool to regain line most uniformly and intuitively. They employed engineering to make the reel fish best not embody some theoretical engineering principle as advanced by the makers of too wide and shallow aspect ratio reels.

Nothing is perfect and I have two issues with Hatch Reels. I am in the good habit of resetting my drag to "0" post fishing. On rare occasion the drag adjusting knob has gotten "stuck" at absolute minimum and I have had to crank it hard to unstick it! I do not understand what happens there but I have adjusted my behavior to set it to one click short of dead stop which eliminated this potential problem which I do not know if it is unique to my reel or more pervasive. Secondly, I like to lubricate my reels and there is no place to put grease or oil on these reels! I have solved that by applying a droplet of reel oil to the threading in the captive release knob; it doesn't need it but I get to do it anyway.

Compare any reel you fish to the ratio of positive versus negative characteristics of Hatch Reels, especially in sizes where the virtues of a potent drag system are applicable, and you will realize how few are its equal. And I have left aside to ones' personal tastes it handsome, modernists good looks and its availability in the two most important colors; black and not too bright clear aluminum (with complimenting varied colored drag modules).
Old 10-15-2013, 09:59 AM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Great and informative post sweets!

Since you like to post in depth, fact filled posts (which is a good thing), how would you compare the Hatch to Nautilus NV? I only bring this up as I know many folks like to compare these two reels, even thought he Nautilus seems to have a more prevalent following in the east and south east.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:31 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Thanks SWEETANDSALT...so that's what I was feeling today when I used the hatch :-).

Thanks onthehunt for starting this thread. And if I may continue/start posting images of the Hatches in action... :-)

I give you the Hatch 3+ Finatic, CF Burkheimer DAL Vintage 9' 5wt and one of God's little creatures...

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

I give you the Hatch Finatic 5+, ZG Helios 9' 7wt, and a bighead LM bass

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 10-17-2013, 08:02 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

ShotGunFly, The FISH say you deserve your fine tackle!
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:45 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

I like the Hatches just fine but went a different direction mainly because of the weight. The 7plus seemed just a smidge heavy for my 8wt but the 9plus seemed way overweight for my 10wt. I love the drag on them though, very smooth.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:27 AM

It is rare, Grouch, that I choose a reel then match a rod to it. I am inspired by a new rod I have acquired to get an appropriate performance, quality and, most importantly, balancing reel. It is the capacity and balancing weight of the reel that drives my selection. This is why I fish reels from several different makers and also how I have developed a critical comparative awareness of their relative virtues.

In seeking the "just right" reel for my new NRX #4 last spring, the best match I found was a Galvan Torque. I had never fished a Torque before and now, with a full season on it, my initial impressions are positive. I am not ready to write a "Love" thread though because one reel, trout fishing, provides insufficient data; I'll have to have the opportunity to take one bonefishing or nail some albies and bass with it before I can formulate an informed opinion. I will say this; it balances PERFECTLY with my NRX and is good looking too.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:53 AM

Some Hatch Love from the past couple of days.....

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Old 10-20-2013, 12:31 PM

Grouch, I find the Hatch 7+ to be a perfect weight and aesthetic match on my S4s #8...the anodization is all but identical in color and matte finish as well. Just add Airflo Tropic Ridge.

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Further, If you call Scott, they will tell you when and if they plan on doing a new run of Heliplys. They do a limited production run every few years to accommodate us fans of that unique model. Yes, in several ways S4s is "better" but not a substitute for Heliply. I like to have booth and they like different reels and line too. I have an Islander LX 3.8 on Heliply #8.
grouch likes this.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:10 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Ok I posted these a while ago and dug em up to put on this thread...

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com