The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 07:02 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hatch Love.....

Pretty cool thread loaded with great information from S&S and wonderful photos of a brand of reel that I am coming to appreciate. Until recently I had not seen one in hand let alone had a chance to fish with one. I won't steal Chi's thunder too much but his 7+ Finatic MA was one helluva pairing on his NRX. I enjoyed casting this pairing. It seemed to perform quite well for him during our recent excursion.

S&S, I'll be interested in hearing your impressions on the Torque series once you have tangled with bones, albies or bass. I recently put a T-10 to the test on Kings and Steelhead and was incredibly pleased though I'm sure Salt is quite a different game. It's great to see that you have fished one and are enjoying them. It's no secret that I have love for my Galvans, so nice to see that you're warming up to them as well.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:18 PM

tarponfly49 is on a distinguished road

Baby '**** on a 7 PLUS

Click the image to open in full size.
von behr, pete a, bwf and 1 others like this.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:31 PM

troutn will become famous soon enoughtroutn will become famous soon enough

I have two Hatch reels. I have a Finatic 3 in black/silver that I have on a Sage 490. I also have a Finatic 4 that I use on a Sage 590.
I have several fly reels, but Hatch is my favorite.

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

I have a Galvan and a couple of Hatch reels. In comparison, the Hatch is heavier, but not a deterrant to buying a Hatch.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:38 PM

tarponfly49 is on a distinguished road

Serously? 'P-O-O-N …aka short for tarpon is bleeps out as obscene? LOL>>>>>>>
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:33 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

Tarponfly, I must be getting square but I don't know an obscenity that tar"'****" would be mistaken for? Now I might have bleeped out your image for putting teeth marks in your cork grip... Fishing for baby tarpon in roadside canals is something that would appeal to me when visiting elderly relatives in Florida though.
dean_mt and shotgunfly like this.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:30 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Ack! busted a Hatch

Well, I'm not sure if I truly BROKE it, but after some abuse, I confess that I'm like a pig on skates, on ICE, when wading and I'm certain I drop it at some point although the reel shows NO scratches or dents, the little knob/cap emblazoned with the "4+" has come clean off the post that tightens the reel to the spool.

It doesn't look like the metal is actually broke, just looks like it's popped off the stem. Now, if it's designed to 'break' gracefully then kudos to Hatch for conceiving it that way. Should make repair simple. Maybe some tool that with the right amount of pressure and angle pops it right back on or at least it'll be a cheap part to replace (fingers crossed).

The boys at the local fly shop know Andy (Andrew?) personally and said they'd give him a call. Love that shop!

Anyways, I'll get some photos up here and update on status. I'm assuming this will be my first, and last issue with the Hatch ;-)

Best,
Cardo

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 12-18-2013, 08:13 PM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

You know you gotta post a pic of that don't you? Sorry to hear, that sounds like it sucks. I am sure Hatch can get you back in the game ODQ.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:48 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch View Post
You know you gotta post a pic of that don't you? Sorry to hear, that sounds like it sucks. I am sure Hatch can get you back in the game ODQ.
Here are a couple of photos:

This shows where the spool tension knob was in the spool (right).

This shows just the backside of the spool tension knob and where the stem was inserted:

The silver part (the stem) has a threaded portion on the bottom that fits onto the threaded stem that protrudes out of the actual reel. Really smart design.

No updates on the repair yet, but I assume it will be done in the next couple of weeks.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 12-30-2013, 03:05 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

I have not seen this failure before and I have oft repeated myself saying a "captive, threaded, spool retainer is the most reliable type". This proves nothing is perfect. Please keep us posted on the progress and commentary about this breakage/repair.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:00 AM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
Here are a couple of photos:

This shows where the spool tension knob was in the spool (right).

This shows just the backside of the spool tension knob and where the stem was inserted:

The silver part (the stem) has a threaded portion on the bottom that fits onto the threaded stem that protrudes out of the actual reel. Really smart design.

No updates on the repair yet, but I assume it will be done in the next couple of weeks.
I'll have some update pics for this thread perhaps today.

Did you hear on your reel yet? If not, phone them and ask for Andrew! He will get you squared away. Great guy!