The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 08:21 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Good Inexpensive Reel for the Girlfriend

martin multiplier, my kids use them, picks up line fast ,about indestructible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2013, 09:10 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Bang for buck, the Albright GP for $40 is hard to beat. I have the 8wt, well put together.

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-29-2013, 10:08 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Okuma SLV, Integrity, or Scierra are all great options that can usually be found for under $50 with a little looking around on the auction site or amazon.

Also let me say okumas customer service is top notch. They've sent me decals for free... And once my clicker on my integrity broke and they sent me free replacement parts.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:22 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Okuma SLV and Cabelas Prestige plus are both very good values for inexpensive reels. SlV in particular has a real decent drag for smaller trout, panfish etc. I used them for a few months anyway. Had a Wind River too that wasn't nearly as good IMO, but that reel was years ago so they may not be the same now.

Last edited by ia_trouter; 10-29-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:39 AM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

Ok, well I never was good at going with lesser quality equipment so why should this be any different. After so many recommendations on here as well as Justin from Allen reaching out to me and chatting a bit about their reels I've decided to go with the Allen ATS 2. It has been a reel pleasure dealing with both Justin and his company.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:42 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Wise choice! Is there a nicer guy in the world than Justin?
mcnerney and yonder like this.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:55 PM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

No there isn't, he was top notch to deal with. I'm very confident she will be happy with this as a part of her first fly fishing outfit. Looking forward to playing with this reel myself!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:24 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

great choice!
allen is a great company with great gear!

casey
mcnerney likes this.

ARFE
Old 10-29-2013, 02:12 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Good choice, you'll be a lot less likely to want to upgrade it shortly after purchase.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Good choice, you'll be a lot less likely to want to upgrade it shortly after purchase.
You are right. The Clearwater outfit I bought as my first outfit is nice, and luckily it is for salmon/steelhead, which I don't do much of, but if I did I'd already be looking to upgrade. Especially the reel. I'm ok with having cheaper stuff for them because I know how rough those species are on equipment. It's why I went all out on the trout outfit. If I went lesser I'd be looking to upgrade after a season. I think I went high end enough that the gf should be fine for a good long time, especially for how much she'll be fishing.

Will be looking at a quality 9' 8wt for saltwater and I'll def be considering the Kraken!
mcnerney likes this.