The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 11:11 PM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough
Default Good Inexpensive Reel for the Girlfriend

Picking up a trout outfit for the girlfriend as she wants to learn to fly fish. Figured it was a good idea as we both have young boys who I'm sure will be interested as well. My main hobby is golf and it takes up a lot of my time, so I'm pro getting her involved in the fly fishing so we have a fun activity we can do together between all my golf tournaments. Plus, I figure if we have something like this we can do together I may be able to get out a little more often! Lol

Anyway, as an extra Christmas present I'm picking up the TFO Casting for Recovery 5wt 8'6" fly rod w/ case, Jim Teeny pink/purple fly line, & Jim Teeny pink backing. Originally I wanted to pick up a Casting for Recovery reel to finish the outfit, but all I can find is the Abel one, which would be a waste at this point for her and more than I'm willing to spend...still have to get her jewelry for Christmas too! Haha.

Since it doesn't appear as though I'll be able to get a pink or purple reel for her at a reasonable price I've started trying to figure out what to get. I was looking at some Cabelas branded reels. They are running a sale on their 2 lower end reels and both have decent reviews. They are the Wind River ($30 on sale for $20) & Prestige Plus ($50 on sale for $30). I have to admit I'm always leery about buying cheaper equipment, but the outfit before the reel is running me about $250 and I'd really like to keep the entire outfit to $300 at most. I then looked at the Orvis Encounter reel ($50), which seems to be a composite version of the Clearwater reel ($80). I have the Clearwater on my Steelhead/Salmon outfit and it performs very well. So now I'm considering spending a bit more than the Cabelas reels to go Orvis.

Just curious what everybody's thoughts are? Do you think the Cabelas reels would be fine? If so does anybody have any experience with either? Do you think it smarter to take the jump to the Orvis Encounter reel, which is still within my budget? Do you have any other suggestions that maybe I'm missing? If so please stick to the $50 budget as that really is all I'd like to spend at this time.

Thanks
Mike
Old 10-28-2013, 11:44 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Inexpensive Reel for the Girlfriend

Haven't used the Encounter personally but Orvis as a company generally stands behind their stuff if there are defects etc, for about $100 you can get their new Battenkill Barstock. For the $50 range I'd get one from the Angler's Roost. I have one myself, got one for my dad and one for my wife and they have all worked well. The switch to right hand retrieve (for a lefty) was more complex than some other reels but they are a fine machined reel and a good price.

Another great option could be the Allen ATS for $99, and it might come in pink - show the color on the site but don't see it as an option to select.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:57 PM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the advice, but really not willing to go over $50 at this time, so the Battenkill & Allen are out. I'll take a look at Angler's Roost though...thanks!
Old 10-29-2013, 01:01 AM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough

Check out the ll bean quest. I've got one as well as do several other members. It's actually a model made by Scierra which has distributors in most countries other than the USA for some reason. It's a very good reel for the money and you can't beat Beans warranty thats for sure!
Old 10-29-2013, 04:22 AM

tdk72 is on a distinguished road

Call the guys at Allen fly fishing, great reels and great service.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:13 AM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold

Buy a nice reel for yourself and let her borrow it.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdk72 View Post
Call the guys at Allen fly fishing, great reels and great service.
I'm sure they are, but as previously stated (twice), they are out of the price range for this purchase. I'm not going to spend a lot on an outfit for her until I know if she actually gets into it or not. If she does, I'm sure she'll be getting the Sage Grace rod & Abel CfR reel next Christmas, but until then I'd like to keep the entire outfit to $300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
Buy a nice reel for yourself and let her borrow it.
Hahaha I just did (Abel Super 5), but no way is she getting a hold of that! Not really looking to spend money on another reel for myself just yet. Picking up a Scott Radian in the next few weeks, then I will be looking hard at a 4wt 7'6" combo.
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:18 AM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold

Okuma makes some low-priced entry level reels that people seem to like. I've heard a lot of good things about them even though I haven't used one.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:48 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yep, try and find a new okuma slv.
nice reel for the money that will fall right into your price range.

casey

ARFE
Old 10-29-2013, 07:49 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

I have some experience with the PHWFF outfits from TFO...I suspect the CFR ones are similar in performance. The TFO provided reel seems totally adequate. Though I do not personally fish any TFO product...I tried to like BVK...I am a big fan of the company, its sincerity and generosity.