The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2008, 12:29 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Help me pick a reel, please!

i think you'll be pleased with the BBS II and its quality being a machined reel. the price and company backing it will be icing on the cake.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:54 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Ross is a good choice. So is Orvis. But for what you want check out Vosselers click pawl. The RC (rim control)
Vosseler RC Fly Reels | Fly Reels | Flyfishing with drive about $125.00
A 6 ½' graphite rod will be fairly fast. Rio's Grand line is a half size heavier and might come in handy with that short of a rod. What'd you think GRN, Burk?
Old 02-24-2008, 09:12 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post
I wouldn't go up a full wt to start, maybe try a line that is on the heavy side of the spec, like a Rio Grand, GPX, or a Windcutter.
Mojo, I already agreed with you

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 02-25-2008, 09:23 PM

jcran750 is on a distinguished road

Mojo,

Thanks for the link, but I already bought an Orvis BBS II from a guy for $50. I figured for that price I couldn't go wrong.

I still haven't bought the line yet, so let me pick everyone's brains a little more if you don't mind. I like the idea of a heavier line just because I'm really worried that I'm going to have trouble casting this fast of a rod, but burks thoughts behind going with a DT line make sense to me also. Of course I know so little about all of this that you could all be blowing smoke and I wouldn't have any clue.

Right now I'm leaning towards going with the DT and making sure that I practise enough to get a feel for the rod. I'm sure that I will change my mind a couple dozen times between now and the trout opener.

This would all be much easier if I could afford multiple spools and lines.

Jeff
Old 02-26-2008, 01:17 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

check websites offering the newly discontinued rio selective trout. they're going for half price right now. so if you needed, you could get 2 lines for the price of one and it's a premium line.

if you're new to flyfishing, i'd say learn casting technique first. don't worry about overlining too much. not at this stage.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:34 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezamora View Post
check websites offering the newly discontinued rio selective trout. they're going for half price right now. so if you needed, you could get 2 lines for the price of one and it's a premium line.

if you're new to flyfishing, i'd say learn casting technique first. don't worry about overlining too much. not at this stage.

eric
fresno, ca.
Eric, that's a fantastic line. One of my favorites, but I fish a lot with 'glass and cane rods. It's perfect for a slower rod. I got rid of my Sylks for the ST line.
A short graphite 3w that's 6'6" is going to be fast. That's why I (and GRN) suggested a Rio Grande. That would make it a 3½w line. I'd love to hear how that rod would fish with that line. Just go ahead and listen to the voices in your head and buy some. Then give a report.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:53 PM

adrian is on a distinguished road

light rod, light reel an unbeatable combination. I was blown away by the weight of the first waterworks reel i tried and now have 3. if you want a very light reel and don't mind paying the bucks go for the the ULA P.1, +/- $300 and LESS than 3 oz, the ULA is incredibly light but does not have the conical drag of the other lamson reels....does it matter if your fishing so light? check them on ebay you can usually find a decent deal if your patient.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:33 AM

mojo, you're saying the rio selective trout is a perfect line for your glass and bamboo, no? i fish mine with a graphite 8'4" 3pc 3/4 wt dan craft Sig V. i've never really thought about it but would consider it a medium fast rod, a very light rod, with a very fast "recovery." and i think the rio ST is great on it. maybe the rio selective trout is simply a very good line... :-)

i'd grab one if they didn't just come out with what might be a better version, the rio selective trout II, supposedly great for slower rods like glass and bamboo if we're to believe the ad copy. i'm a sucker sometimes.... LOL

eric
fresno, ca.