The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ia_trouter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold
Default Another should I buy this reel thread

I am probably starting too many threads, but I often do as I am instructed here so advice is welcomed again.

I purchased an 8WT 9FT Reddington CPX rod a few weeks ago. (As suggested here lol). I have no large reels, and it really isn't in the budget now (nor was the rod) Truthfully I probably won't fish the rod until next spring. A reel is not an emergency, but I would like to cast the new rod.

Cabela's has the Sage 1800 for $79. That seems like a too good to pass up sale. But if I wait I could probably spend twice that much this winter.

I need a real decent drag as I am going to chase LM Bass and 5# (hopefully larger) pike with it. Heck maybe even a carp on a slow day. My other option is spool up my 8WT line on a 5 WT reel (with no backing) and try out the rod. Even considered buying a Chinese reel for now, but I hate to buy cheap junk that won't suffice for long.
mridenour likes this.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:55 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Another should I buy this reel thread

The Sage is a solid reel; my son has one on his 9wt and he likes it just fine. It is a quiet reel but I believe the operator can hear it whirring quietly when a fish is pulling line. (I usually go for LOUD reels lol)
Old 11-07-2013, 08:29 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Another should I buy this reel thread

Yes, yes you should!!! They are a very underrated reel. They are machined, super quiet, hold a ton of backing and have a FULLY SEALED DRAG so its saltwater safe!! I have the cheaper version of it, the 1680 and it lacks the better machining and sealed drag but it was my carp reel for many years and always preformed flawlessly.

Storm Drain Bonefisher