The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 05:58 PM

flyphisher is on a distinguished road
Default Reel reco for 7 WT Steelheading/big trout rod

I just bought a 7 wt 9'6" Boron IIIX for light steelheading and throwing streamers to big trout. I'm thinking about the following three reels in no particular order: Ross Evolution LT 3, Nautilus FWX 7/8, and Galvan Torque T-6. I'd appreciate any thoughts on these three reels and/or recommendations for others. Trying to keep it under $400 w/ line. For the line, a guide recently recommended Rio's Atlantic Salmon Steelhead. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:21 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel reco for 7 WT Steelheading/big trout rod

Welcome to the forum. Where are you fishing for Steelhead? If you fill out your profile, including general location it's helpful to us as we respond to questions. That said...

I have a T-6 paired with a 7100 B2X. Dream of a match. A Torque would certainly be my recommendation, but perhaps I'm biased. If you want to save a few $$'s, have a look at the Rush Series. Same drag as in the Torque, it's the machining of the reel that's different. It's going to be heavier but you get the same drag.

The recommendation of the Rio line is a good choice but you might want to consider SA's Steelhead line, or Airflo's new Super Dri Mend too. I just picked up the Airflo line but have not tried it yet.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:07 AM

timd will become famous soon enough

I completely agree with the above. I have a T6 on my Biix 9.5 6 and love it. I have become a big fan of the Galvans after many years of using Abels. I would only suggest you make sure the reel feels right on the rod ie weights enough to be balanced correctly.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:23 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I fish both the T-6 and FWX 7/8 and consider both among the top of their class. As said above, I would select based on balance with your rod rather than other merits of these reels. The Nautilus is very light for its size and I use it on 9'/#5 ONE. There is no where to go in the FWX series for more balance weight whereas the Torque reels can be up-sized relative to the balance weight you require. The Hardy Ultralite DD reels are notable for the small incremental weight difference between sequential models enhancing balance fine tuneability. Assuming adequate performance and good aspect ratio design, I consider balance to be the singular crucial factor in reel-for-rod choice. Oh, I ignore reel makers' line capacity recommendations which rarely coincide with my usage. My T-6 at 5.2 oz. is a dead perfect balance on an NRX 9'/#4 for example.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:42 PM

flyphisher is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the welcome and response. I appreciate the insights as 1) steelheading is new to me 2) the equipment options are overwhelming and 3) this is the first time I'm doing due diligence before purchase(vs regrettable impulse buys).

This will be my #2 rod as my primary one is a Loop Opti Stream 5 wt with a Hatch Finatic 3+.

Jaybo, I live in Northern California and though I fish in the area, I make annual trips to the world class streams of Montana and Idaho. I'll fill out my profile for future reference.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:39 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road

For value. the Evolution LT can't be beat. For performance, the Torque can't be beat