The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 07:39 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis CFO 1

Has anyone fished one of these? I am looking at one for my 3 wt. rod. I like the classic looks and they seem like a reasonable value for the price. I know the gear-disc drag may be less sturdy than other designs, but it is going on a 3 wt., and heck, I've used an old Hardy Sunbeam click and pawl drag for 30 years without any problems on my 6 weight rods, so this seems pretty high-tech. I have a couple of larger Galvans (OB3 and Rush) and love them, but they are significantly more money.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orvis CFO 1

You are dead on, on the classic look. I have the newer Bronze on my boo, but I also have the English made Spring Pawl model.
They are a tough reel, a 3 wt. would be sweet.
The popular Traditional Battenkill, the BBS and the Battenkill LA all have that gear disc drag, .....no problem.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Mhclayton,

Joni knows the Orvis reels a lot better than I do but have you considered the Battenkill Bar Stock. It would be lighter and cheaper. I have not used either one so have no first hand experience.

Frank

Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Good point Frank. BBS got the CFO beat by .4 oz. Doesn't sound like a lot, but every little bit counts with the backing and line.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:13 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

if you were blind folded could you tell the difference between .4 oz..i dont think, either reel will do the job...the cfo is is the classic reel along the lines of hardy, who made this reel for orvis for years..the bbs is a nice small reel with a great drage system..have had them both still have a bbs for my 3wt..a lot of systems are getting to light and hard to feel right..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-18-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
if you were blind folded could you tell the difference between .4 oz..i dont think, either reel will do the job...the cfo is is the classic reel along the lines of hardy, who made this reel for orvis for years..the bbs is a nice small reel with a great drage system..have had them both still have a bbs for my 3wt..a lot of systems are getting to light and hard to feel right..

EXACTLY. That was tongue in cheek. However, I know one guy who will swear he can tell the difference ;-)
It is basically down to which look. The CFO designed by Hardy was the Spring/Pawl, which are very rare to find these days. Detectable by rivets or bolts on the back of the reel.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:21 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

I use one on my 7'9" 2 wt orvis ---i love it---but i like hardys too
Old 02-18-2008, 12:06 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

The CFO will be fine. IMHO, much prettier than than the BBS and I really doubt four tenths of an ounce will matter.

The reel has been around since the early seventies. The original prototype made by Stan Bogdan of NH is at the American Museum of Fly Fishing. For the first twenty years it was made for Orvis by Hardy, then with Orvis' aquisition of British Reel Works it continued to be made by Orvis in England along with some other popular reels like Sci Anglers System reels. The last couple of years find it being made in Asia.

Just an aside... the name came from Charles F. Orvis' initials.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:35 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Have been using English made CFO reels for years, never had a problem
with them.
One would be very nice on a light weight rod. Don't think you would regret it.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:23 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all for your advice.