The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 01:38 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road
Default Oiling a cork drag

I have a couple of reels that have cork drags. Any advice on how frequently they should be oiled?
Old 11-16-2013, 01:48 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Oiling a cork drag

I have several Abel reels, and I use neet's foot oil on the cork drag surface. The frequency varies, depending upon how often they're used. I keep the drags backed all the way off when they're stored.

A few drops is all you need. My 8-wt surf set up gets used the most, and I put a few drops on the cork about every third outing and spread it around the surface with my finger.

I hope that helps.

-VB
mrfzx, fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:40 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

What VB said. Folks have a great tendency to 'over oil/lubricate' their reels. In most cases a single drop (I use 3 in 1 but odd as it sound 'sewing machine' oil is the best stuff going) is quite enough.

fae
Old 11-16-2013, 05:57 PM

jfaisten is on a distinguished road

X3 on less oil is better. couple of drops and rub it around.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:22 AM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

As mentioned above I put a small amount of Neets Foot Oil on my Abel cork area. I think all manufacturers use different combinations of materials in their cork, I would see what the reel maker recommends.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:20 AM

throssing is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:26 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

+3 on the Neatsfoot oil for the cork, rub it in and wipe off the excess. It is not a lubricant but a maintainer of the cork's natural elasticity. Without periodic treatment cork dries out and can "glaze" generating a squeaky sound and can then unsmoothly grab under drag pressure...not good. Do not use it to oil springs, threads, dogs or other metallic moving parts. There is some multitude of opinion on light, pure oils or greases and every viscosity in between. take the reel makers suggestions which vary but keep your reel lightly lubed. Unless it is a Ross which, I learned the hard way...oil contaminates the drag assembly.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:11 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I've taken to using ReelX over neat's-foot oil after noticing that ReelX is now what Bauer recommends on their cork drags. I was told that neats-foot oil being made from organic material can turn rancid overtime.
So far, so good with both products. I can't say I've had problems with neats-foot oil but now that is just one less thing to worry about.
As with neats foot oil, a little goes a long, long way.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:06 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Jackster, where have you been? And, incidentally, Tibor also recommends a synthetic cork treatment as does South African reel maker, Magla, who recommend SuperLube. Having used Neatsfoot all these years with positive results, its a tradition I have not yet bucked.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:19 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

All of our dozen or so cork drag Bauer’s dating back to the 90’s came with a small tube of ReelX and that’s all that I use on them. On our Abel’s it neatsfoot oil.

It’s always good to check with the mfg before switching away from their lubircant recommendations. Especially important is the " why " they want you to use one and the “ concerns “ they may share, about using something other than what each recommends for their products.

TT