The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By sweetandsalt
  • 1 Post By chased

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 12:12 PM

fwegeners is on a distinguished road
Default Hardy Princess with 8wt line?

My wife's bought me a vintage Hardy Princess reel and I'd like to use it on my Steelhead rod, my only dilemma is the line weight, I'd like to use 8wt if I can. Does anyone have an opinion on using an 8wt weight line with this reel. The information I can find says it's rated for up to 7wt but there has been the occasional mention of using 8wt with it.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:31 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hardy Princess with 8wt line?

I rate the Princess for a #5 or 6-weight line capacity wise. Further, it is likely too light weight to balance any 8-weight steelhead rod. Nor does it have a drag or even a palming rim. Very nice trout reel though.
Hardyreels, fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I agree with Richard,

I have one that is used with an 8' cane rod in six weight. With gel spun backing you could fit a WF 8 on the reel but as was said the drag system will be insufficient on big water with big fish.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-18-2013, 03:23 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I agree with the above. You could get an 8wt single hand line on the reel if you cut down on the backing. But it is such a light reel that you will have a hard time balancing it on an 8wt rod. A St. Aiden or Zenith would likely be a better option if you are still wanting a reel that looks a lot like a Princess.

-Chase
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:35 PM

labtrout will become famous soon enoughlabtrout will become famous soon enough

Also agree. The Princess is a fine 6-weight trout reel. For an 8-weight line, however, you'd want the St. Aiden, which is just a bit larger in diameter but has a wider drum to accommodate an 8-weight line and about 150 yards of 20 lb. backing. The problem you will have is not being able to palm the reel on a good run because of the caged spool.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:37 PM

fwegeners is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the info. I think I'll return it for a more steelhead friendly Hardy. I already have a Marquis for my 5wt trout rod.