The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By brookfieldangler
  • 2 Post By brookfieldangler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 08:35 PM

buckslayer50 is on a distinguished road
Default Montana Fly Reels

Anyone ever used these? I am pretty new and am trying to put together a 4/5wt outfit for bream and largemouths here in Florida and Trout when I get up to South Carolina. I have been looking around at some mid range fly reels(I am too young and poor to afford some of the big time reels), and stumbled on these and they have some beautiful looking reels. I just wanna know if they are the real deal when it comes to performance and if its a good reel for a beginner such as myself. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Reference point for the one that stuck out most to me:
Amazon.com: Madison IIa Fly Reel ::: Bern Sundell's Brookie Skin Design: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Madison IIa Fly Reel ::: Bern Sundell's Brookie Skin Design: Sports & Outdoors
Old 11-18-2013, 08:50 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Montana Fly Reels

Fantastic reel. Have one on my 6wt set up and love. Before that, I had the opportunity of testing a 5wt bamboo rod built by Fall River fly rods that was paired up with one of these reels. Landed a 12lb carp on it and a 6lb bowfin. Reel handled them flawlessly.

With that said, they are a tad on the heavy side but I can cast my 6 for hours upon hours without noticing the weight.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:42 AM

buckslayer50 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
Fantastic reel. Have one on my 6wt set up and love. Before that, I had the opportunity of testing a 5wt bamboo rod built by Fall River fly rods that was paired up with one of these reels. Landed a 12lb carp on it and a 6lb bowfin. Reel handled them flawlessly.

With that said, they are a tad on the heavy side but I can cast my 6 for hours upon hours without noticing the weight.
Thank you very much for the review! I think this is the reel I will go with. It is on the Christmas list!
Old 11-19-2013, 08:53 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

My please!!

Be sure to post some pics when you get it!!

Here's a couple of the II that I had on that Bamboo.

Click the image to open in full size.

^that's not the bigger carp I caught on it. Still looking for that picture

mcnerney and pete a like this.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Very nice bowfin (grinnel). Don't see many of those taken with a fly rod. Glad to see you didn't try the largemouth bass lip hold.

Pete A.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:57 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

What kind of drag system is on this reel?
Old 11-19-2013, 09:10 AM

Essentially it is a sealed carbon disk system. very smooth and easy start up

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

Thanks, Pete!! I was pretty excited when I landed it. I've caught a ton of them before fishing heavy muck on top before, but this was my first on the bottom. Caught him on a size 8 backstabber after landing about 3 carp, a ton of gills, and about a half dozen bass. I knew they were in the area of the river I was fishing and was hoping to get one. Just took a few tries to get one.
mcnerney and mridenour like this.