The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 11 Post By siege
  • 1 Post By sweetandsalt
  • 3 Post By pete a
  • 1 Post By duker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 10:53 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future
Default Refurb it yourself

I recently came across a nice used SA system II reel. It was for sale at a very attractive price. Everything was in like new shape, it ran smooth, and the spool was round and ran true. The only problem ? Someone had dropped this sweet old English made reel on it's foot. A chunk of the cast metal broke off, leaving a jagged edge. Even if I buffed it smooth, there was not enough on that side to make a good secure fit in the reel seat.
There are a number of places selling vintage reel parts, so I figured, let's fix 'er up. I got in touch with Bill Archuleta, who knew just what I needed, and had it in stock. I ordered the part and some new screws. Once it was shipped, it was just a couple of days by mail. It was refreshing to get the part in a small envelope, instead of a big box. Shipping and handling ? Two bucks.
The point ? If you have broken reels gathering dust, it's a lot cheaper to fix them, than to replace them. Most are pretty easy to work on, and the parts are available. And, it's fun !
Old 11-19-2013, 08:26 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Refurb it yourself

Thanks for reminding me. I too have a discontinued Hardy reel with a dinged reel foot. I will attend a fly tying show this weekend and Hardy NA will be there. I am going to call them after my morning review of this Forum and have them bring me the part I need...and new screws too.
mridenour likes this.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:53 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Siege;

Like your post plus love those reels. Unlike the new "whizz" reels you can completely disassemble with simple tools. Clean and easy.

I also just sent a note to Bill Archuleta about a Pflueger Supreme #577 I have with a broken pawl. It's been gathering dust as I was shopping for the right 7wt 'glass rod for it and dawdling on repair. Have a nice rod on the way so time to get it rolling.

Here's a SA System II action pic

Pete A.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:42 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I love 'em catfish fried!
Old 11-19-2013, 07:04 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

New screws make sense to me. If there's a chance the old screwa are lock tighted down with the permanent stuff, or the heads are torn up, spend the little extra bit and do the job right.
Say Hi to Bill for me when you contact him. He's a nice guy to do business with. Tell him you heard about him on THIS forum !
Old 11-19-2013, 07:52 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

That's a great story siege. My first disc drag reel was a made-in-England SA System 2, and I caught a lot of salmon on it. Still have it, tho' I don't use it so much these days. As Pete A. says, they're great reels.

If I ever need it repaired I know who to go to.

Scott.
siege likes this.