The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 12:52 PM

almonde will become famous soon enoughalmonde will become famous soon enough
Default Hatch Finatic 4+ too heavy for Helios 2?

I've finally bitten the bullet and purchased the Orvis H2, 5wt tip flex. Whilst the checking account gathers its breath i want to put a nice reel on it.

I had considered the Hardy Ultralight DD, but being British i'm always slightly put off by the Hardy brand when in the USA. I think its having so many US companies available to me here that i don't have easy access to in the UK.

I considered the Loop Opti Dry Fly, but i could help thinking it was a little too big and don't like thats its silent. I enjoy a reel click.

I considered the Nautilus FWX as its so light, but my experience with the 7/8 has put me off the brand slightly. They put it right, but it annoys me that a complete duffer got past their QC and the fly shop as well.

I like the Orvis Mirage, i have the Mirage IV for my 8wt, its a good solid reel with loads of drag, but i want something a bit different on the 5wt.

I handled a Lamson up in CO a few weeks ago, felt really nice, but couldn't get over the really wide spool, whats with that?

So i arrive back time and time again at the Hatch Finatic 4+. I've handled one it feels great, i haven't fished with one though and the only criticism i've read is that they are bit heavy on modern light fly rods.

Anyone with a thought on the Hatch as a trout reel? I don't need an amazing drag etc, but at these sort of prices i guess it comes with the territory. I'm looking at the more modern looking reels, the blue blank of the H2 i think requires it. (its embarrassing but i like my fishing gear to look the part, even if i'm too inept to get the best from it)
Old 11-20-2013, 01:27 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hatch Finatic 4+ too heavy for Helios 2?

There is a thread in this form discussing Hatch Reels with much positive opinion expressed, including by me. I fish a Hatch 5+ on a Sage Z-Axis 9'/#5. That rod is a bit heavier than the same size H2...nice rod by the way...and my reel is the original version which is a heavier too. The Mirage III is recommended by my Orvis friends to mate with your rod (yes, I know the catalog lists the II in the outfit but...) and it weighs 4.8 oz. The Finatic 4+ weighs 5.2 oz. and I doubt the extra .4 oz. would upset the balance at all. And it is available with blue drag module to match the shaft of your new rod. I think your mates back home will be envious of your new, all-American outfit. Where do you plan on fishing it?
Old 11-20-2013, 03:49 PM

During the winter in Texas, i fish for stockie rainbows in the tailrace below Canyon Lake. A few of those guys can make you fairly glad you have a decent reel, but most of the fishing is dirty weighted indicator nymph rigs, so it hardly requires a precise casting instrument.

However the rod was bought with eye on a trip that i have booked for Sept 2014 to Montana. I hope to be throwing some bigger foam dries with it, which is why i elected to go for the tip flex vs the mid.

I'll also use it chasing some smaller warm water species in TX when i can't be bothered to throw great big deer hair poppers etc with a 7 or 8wt. Maybe stalking some smaller carp with it too.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:17 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I have three Hatch fanatics:

3+ on a ZG Helios 9' 5wt (ROD = 2.375 oz, REEL = 4.8 oz)
4+ on a H2 Helios 9' 6wt (ROD = 2.75 oz, REEL = 5.2 oz)
5+ on a ZG Helios 9' 7wt (ROD = 2.875 oz, REEL = 6.5 oz)

As you can see the trend for balance was the finatic on a orvis light rod nearly 2wts ABOVE what the reel is rated at.

This does cut down somewhat on the amount of standard backing but out here the trout I've hooked into don't get much opportunity to run far. So I didn't mind the trade off.

What H2 Helios 5wt tip flex did you get?

9' 5wt tip flex = 2 oz = 2.5 oz
8'6" 5wt tip flex = 2 oz = 2.25 oz

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 11-21-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
I have three Hatch fanatics:

What H2 Helios 5wt tip flex did you get?

9' 5wt tip flex = 2 oz = 2.5 oz
8'6" 5wt tip flex = 2 oz = 2.25 oz

Thanks for the info Shotgunfly, i think i'll try and handle both a 4+ and a 3+, see where i am with it.

Its the 9' 5wt i ordered, i think if i was going the 8'6" route, then i would be considering the 3+ even more , i think a little bit more weight might be tolerable on the 9'
Old 11-21-2013, 01:53 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about

I have become a fan of the Hatch Reels. I like the look of the reels and the drag system. I have a Finatic 4 on my Sage One 590 and a Finatic 3 on my Sage One 490. They weight a little more than the Galvins, but I prefer the closed drag on the Hatch reels. I honestly don't notice the nominal extra weight.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:12 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road

I think that the Hatch reels are a little on the heavy side. A lighter alternative might be the Ross Evolution or Evolution 2.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:33 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about

What about an Abel?

I love my Hatch reels and have never had an issue with them. However, my next few will be Abel. The newer Super Series reels with the narrow, or "N" designation are a bit lighter than the Hatch and just as solid and beautiful. Some worry about the exposed, cork drag, but there are no issues!
Old 11-22-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehunt View Post
What about an Abel?

I love my Hatch reels and have never had an issue with them. However, my next few will be Abel. The newer Super Series reels with the narrow, or "N" designation are a bit lighter than the Hatch and just as solid and beautiful. Some worry about the exposed, cork drag, but there are no issues!
I have looked at the Abel reels, but i can't myself turning a $450 reel into a $900 one by the time i've finished playing with their reel builder tool
Old 11-22-2013, 12:51 PM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

If you like Abel and are ok with getting the little bit older Super Series (not N version) you can find them on sale. The place I got mine at still has both the Super 4 & Super 5 in stock. In the Super 4 they only have black left and it's $325. In the Super 5 they have Black $375 or colored (Deep Green or Olive) at $450.