The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Allen Kraken drag pressure? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/338035-allen-kraken-drag-pressure.html)

backwoodsangler 11-23-2013 04:22 PM

Allen Kraken drag pressure?

Hello All,
Might anyone know how much drag pressure the Allen Kraken 3 (7/8) puts out? I am curious because I am looking to possibly replace a Sage 4280. The Sage only has about 3.5 lbs of drag pressure and wondering if the Kraken has more. I am headed to the gulf next summer and wanted something with a little stronger drag and the Kraken looked promising at a good price. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allenflyfishing 11-23-2013 06:44 PM

Re: Allen Kraken drag pressure?

Hi backwoodsangler,

Welcome to the forum. Our Kraken series has done well for many. Personalty I have caught 80lbs + sailfish, dozens of Skip Jack, and plenty of Dorado. I'd be happy to send you a reel to crank the drag down and compare.

Please contact me at info@allenflyfishing.com and we'll get a Kraken in your hands to compare.

Thank you,

Justin

brookfieldangler 11-23-2013 06:58 PM

I haven't measured the drag on any sort of scale but I can tell you it is muuuuuuch stronger than 3.5lbs.

backwoodsangler 11-23-2013 07:25 PM

Thanks for the reply brookfieldangler. Seems like I have read somewhere that it cranks down pretty tight but I was just curious.

Justin thanks for the Welcome and for replying. I mentioned in my first post on this forum that I registered mainly because of researching Allen reels. I ended up on this forum several times on search results so I figured I should become part of the forum. Seems like a great platform with many highly informed individuals.
I will more than likely be purchasing a Kraken and maybe a Trout II in the near future, still exploring. You seem to have a great following.
Again thanks for the info an I will contact you in the near future.

stl_geoff 11-23-2013 08:09 PM

Not sure on actual poundage but mine will stop all line from being pulled from the spool when cranked all the way down. I haven't had a chance to test it out properly yet but so far it has not let down.

The trout II is also nice, Im hoping they will have a sweet black Friday sale, I need/want some stuff :D

fredaevans 11-23-2013 08:40 PM

Check with the Allen folks direct? They've been most responsive.

fae

backwoodsangler 11-23-2013 09:09 PM

stl_geoff
If cranked down it will stop all line from coming out, I would say that's good enough:)
Thanks for the info!

Hardyreels 11-23-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backwoodsangler (Post 613555)
I ended up on this forum several times on search results so I figured I should become part of the forum.

Well, welcome to the forum then :) Your story is that of a large part of this membership, myself included. I'm happy to see you are making good use of your membership.

Ard

stl_geoff 11-24-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backwoodsangler (Post 613586)
stl_geoff
If cranked down it will stop all line from coming out, I would say that's good enough:)
Thanks for the info!

Yup, it tightens down more then my sage, lamson and some other allen reels I have. I only own like 7 or 8 of them :grin:

backwoodsangler 11-24-2013 09:21 AM

I have a Lamson and Sage as well, and I am thinking an Allen is sounding better and better. From all I have gathered they will be every bit as good as what I own. Sounds like you are thrilled with yours. Good to hear some feedback.